• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can first year Common Tern have orange legs? (1 Viewer)

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
United States
I saw this bird today in south central Pennsylvania. There were Forster's and Common Terns there, but this guy stayed with the Caspian Terns. It was also not plunge diving, but swooping down to pick up prey off the surface of the water. Can a first year Common Tern still have orange legs? Or is it a Least Tern. I didn't notice it was banded until looking through my pictures.

P1360552 (2).JPG

Sibley 2014 shows "fresh juvenile" (Jul-Aug) Common Tern having orange legs. Head and wing pattern seem to fit Common perfectly and not Least, too.

Sibley 2014 shows "fresh juvenile" (Jul-Aug) Common Tern having orange legs. Head and wing pattern seem to fit Common perfectly and not Least, too.

Thanks, others have also agreed that it is a Common Tern. I think it was the proximity to the Caspian Terns that made it seem so small.

I think it's a 2cy Common Tern, note the very worn outermost primary which is still juvenile while the others are already moulted.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back