• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can I get ID of these birds? (Poland) (1 Viewer)

misikuru

Poland
Hello! I'm new here. Could you help me with identifying these birds? All photos taken in Greater Poland, Poland. Sorry for the poor quality. Also, a brief description of how you identified them would be very helpful.

I tried to guess the species but I'm not sure.
1, 2. Common scoter (taken on a lake, they dive. 25.10.2021)
3. Crested lark (in a shopping mall parking lot in the middle of the fields, 28.12.2021)
4. Common kestrel/Peregrine falcon/Merlin? (09.01.2022)

Thanks!

Attachments

• RIMG0306 (2).JPG
    RIMG0306 (2).JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 99
  • RIMG0313 (2).JPG
    RIMG0313 (2).JPG
    495.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20211228_113616 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211228_113616 (2).jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20220108_100904 (2).jpg
    IMG_20220108_100904 (2).jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 104
1&2 Common Scoter females, brown diving ducks with pale cheeks
3 Crested Lark; streaky with a small pointed crest
4 Kestrel - female, streaky back
Essentially, all of these simply look like the relevant birds; details of shape and proportions which add up to a bird’s jizz; all these photographs are plenty clear enough to show this.

Hello,
I agree with you_
both Ducks are Common Scooters and the passerine is a Crested Lark (a supporting feature is the place you observed them. Parking lots in an urbal sourrounding are favourite places for this species, at least in Germany).

The falcon is hard for me and I hope for others to jump in. Its either a Kestrel or a merlin
Although I get the feeling of a small, compact bird, this cant be judged with confidence (thank you Butty! I will expand that later, you will see), it might well be enhanced by a hunched, fluffed up bird (cold weather?), I think, the barred pattern on the upperparts makes and the head pattern makes this a Kestrel

But I have just learned again, not to squeeze too much out of such pictures (thank you Jörn, again!) and I better wait for others and/or more pictures of the Falcon

Sorry: forgot the most important thing: welcome to birdforum, Misikuru!

And yes, Butty, it might well be useful to use the "best fit" word to describe the pattern to a new member (but new doesnt mean, that he/she doesnt have much experience).
I am sure (with much more confidence than in the recent Scaup thread), that Welsh Peregrine has meant exactly this pattern and yes, its surely time to improve my english.
And as a member of the "weight over quality"-camera group, I am still looking for help regarding what can be squeezed out of such pictures. I wasnt sure, if artefacts might enhanced the pattern here, shifting towards Kestrel pattern.

And I just realized, that my wish has come true and two experienced members have identified the bird as a Kestrel. As said, its not an easy bird for me. And it helped me gaining experience in this topic. Like in the Scaup thread, thank you Welsh Peregrine, Butty, Jörn and Mac Nara (I looked at the question why do Gadwalls often appear smaller than Mallards, I will expand that later)

I hope that remarks regarding picture quality dont come out as an offense to a new member, Misikuru. They are only meant to help with ID.

Thank you all for your help!

Alexander, I'm not offended at all :) Actually I've got a new point-and-shoot superzoom this week and I'm hoping my ID photos will be much better from now on.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back