• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can I have a confirmation for Scopoli's Shearwater? (SW Portugal) (1 Viewer)

SilviuPavel

Romania
I took this pictures on a boat trip from Sagres (Portugal) at the beginning of october.
Thanks!

Attachments

• _18G5276.jpg
    _18G5276.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • _18G5277.jpg
    _18G5277.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
It's a really bad angle to evaluate the pattern of the underside of the primaries Silviu. Do you have any more pics at all of this bird? From what I can see here Cory's is not ruled out.
The grey underside of the primaries in Calonectris is reflective of light, like "silk" and in certain angles it may look paler than it is. I see some contrast between the clearly white under primary coverts and the primary bases that should not be so obvious in Scopoli's. Interestingly there was a Scopoli's recorded at Sagres I believe in October (it should be quite regular, but frequent records are still lacking).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back