• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can that bird be considered "wild"? (1 Viewer)

I know the feeling, but my point is that if you count the expenses for chasing rarities (including ones that might be semi-wild at best) round the country for years, would it really amount to less than travelling to an entirely different region of the world for a relatively short, but much more productive, time?
Or, say, what's the point in trying to find Long-eared Owl in Britain (where it's apparently rare enough to warrant its breeding/roosting sites being kept a secret) when you can see easily it in e.g. Serbia and probably for less money, too? Heck, even in Germany it's quite common and not very difficult to see, at least by owl standards.
Forgot all about this post.
As I said, I don't have enough money to visit many countries. Especially not the US. Maybe something will change in the future, but spending one huge amount of money in one go is not the answer for me. I barely agreed to arrange a trip for myself to southern Spain to see bald ibis and imperial eagle in that way. An £53 train ticket for Lady's Slipper is already almost too much and too unacceptably high for me. That is why I spend less to see introduced birds. Regarding some birds, like LEO and ospreys, I know where to look and find them easily and don't spend much on it. Regarding other things, like the aforementioned Lady's Slipper, which will be the target of an insane trip idea in May, I can afford it, but very rarely

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back