• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help identify this mystery bird? (1 Viewer)

Heidicat

While partaking in The Great Backyard Birdwatching event this weekend here in North Carolina USA. I noticed a very large bird feeding in my lawn, today I noticed 2 more of the same bird, & managed to catch a closer look, close enough to get some descriptions. This bird has an appearance of a woodpecker, yet, its been feeding on my lawn. It pecks just like a woodpecker does as well as its beek is long & same shape as the woodpeckers I have seen in books. It is brown with a red patch at the back of the head along the neck, it also has a black patch that is shaped like a bib just along the upper breast near the neck. The bird I first noticed was about a foot in length. The other two I saw today were about 10 or so inches in length. Can anyone please help identify this bird, I have searched my bird book, checked several sites on the internet & I still cannot come across anything at all that is simular in appearance. And the only woodpeckers I find listed, all have either the red head or they are black & white. I would very much appreciate help with this.
Thank you
Heidi

Sounds like a northern flicker (yellow-shafted), which is a woodpecker. 40% of the flicker's diet is ants and other insects so you'll see them poking into the ground for hours at a time. Great for aerating the lawn! :)

Heidi,
From your description of size and colors, the Common Flicker seems to fit pretty well. Can you check this in your field guides or this photo of a Common Flicker

edit: Heidi, Common Flicker was the old name. It is the same as the Northern Flicker that Katy mentioned above. Sorry for any confusion. Same bird.

Last edited:
It appears to be the Northern Flicker

Thank you so much Steve, Katy & Dave for all your assistance with this.
Dave your photo sure does look very much like the northern flicker that katy and you had suggested it might be. Although its spots are not as vibrant as the one in this picture is, both my boyfriend & I agree, this must be the bird we keep observing in our yard, again today one was out there in the same spot feeding on the ground.
Thank you once again for all your help in this matter.
Happy Bird watching to all
Heidi

Dave B Smith said:
Heidi,
From your description of size and colors, the Common Flicker seems to fit pretty well. Can you check this in your field guides or this photo of a Common Flicker

edit: Heidi, Common Flicker was the old name. It is the same as the Northern Flicker that Katy mentioned above. Sorry for any confusion. Same bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back