• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you identify these binoculars from Jethro Tull’s Stormwatch / “Dun Ringill”? (1 Viewer)

syncrasy

A diversion for the binocular nuts (or anyone else with time on their hands)…

Aficionados of fine music will be familiar with the 1979 Jethro Tull album Stormwatch and its cover artwork showing Ian Anderson holding a pair of armoured binoculars:

jt-binocs-a-cover-small.jpg

Some might also have seen the video for the song “Dun Ringill” from said album:

I spot at least three different types of binoculars in the video (B, C, D):

jt-binocs-b-video1.jpg

jt-binocs-c-video2.jpg

jt-binocs-d-video3.jpg

And there’s yet another in a promo photo for the album:

jt-binocs-e-promo.jpg

Is it possible to identify the manufacturers/models of these binoculars?

Here’s the list:

A) Stormwatch cover painting: green rubber armoured/ribbed porro. Is this a real model (see D) or a fictitious model in the Zeiss style?
B) “Dun Ringill” video: rubber armoured/ribbed porro.
C) “Dun Ringill” video: large green (military?) porro.
D) “Dun Ringill” video: green rubber armoured/ribbed porro, perhaps the model for the cover painting.
E) Promo photo: a black binocular. Is it a porro or (gasp!) a roof?

Interesting on B, 1.2 & 3 show a silver oval emblem sticker, meaning made in Japan, and leather armor.
Then lower right a different binocular, porro with ribbed armor.

No rhyme or reason, lots of different optics in the photos.

Jerry

Last edited:
And I think 'C' might be German navy WWII binos, sometimes called 'U-boat'binoculars.

I bet you're right. Based on the article "U-boat Binoculars" (http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors.com/U-boat_binoculars.pdf), I think 'C' is almost certainly a German U-Boat binocular. It could be the original Carl Zeiss Jena 8x60 U-Boat Commander's binocular, first made in 1943. Nicknamed the "Fat One," it weighs 2552 grams (5.6 pounds). In 1944 Zeiss sold a custom version to the Swedish Navy, which also bought a similar 8x60 from the Busch company. In the 1950s the UK cataloguer Headquarter & General Supply sold a 7x50 version they called the Zeiss "Battleship" model.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back