• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Canada Geese, UK (1 Viewer)

GMS

Any thoughts on these. Looked quite small and dark. No experience with small Canada Geese but they looked different to me than standard Canada G.
IMG-20210304-WA0000.jpeg 20210304_130136.jpg

Alexander Stöhr

Hello,
these looks look like Barnacle x Canada (or Cackling) Goose hybrids to me. Please note:
brown breast, very large (rounded) white area on the head. Second bird has a white spot on the foread are ehead, a sign of Barnacle influnce, but white spots on the foreheads are present rarely in pure-looking Canadas, too.
All dark bill and all dark legs (what is visible of them) excludes the other frequent Canada Goose hybrid, Canada x Greylag.
Is the last sentence a failproof one? Yes, I think so, but if it is 100%, better wait for others to jump in.

Edit: some ssp/races of Canada Goose have a darker breast, but both birds here have a darker breast with a sharp, although slightly contrasting boarder to paler belly, good for hybrides, too. But I dont have enough experience to judge, if this a failproof criterea. And its one question, I hope to get an answer. Conclusion? I hope other to jump in. Thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread