• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada - Tillsonburg Ontario — Merlin Bird app states Cooper’s Hawk ‘uncommon’ (1 Viewer)

Nature58b

Canada
Any assistance in ID of this hawk greatly appreciated. Merlin Bird ID comes up as Cooper’s Hawk but states it is uncommon. I live in Tillsonburg Ontario and there is a wooded area near homes with many feeders in the area. This hawk I have only heard and seen at dawn each morning for the past couple weeks. Today I managed to capture two of them on video. When in flight, the only obvious marking is a white rump very obvious on upper side and not from the under side. Since there isn’t much light in the morning and I was a couple hundred feet away looking into the trees it is difficult to make out any other markings. The shape resembles Cooper’s Hawk, size is a larger crow, and Merlin Bird App states calls as Cooper’s Hawk. Can anyone confirm if this is a Cooper’s Hawk? Does anyone know if they are nesting in Tillsonburg? If so why does Merlin Bird app state they are uncommon? Thanks for reading.

Image.png

Last edited:
Welcome to BF.
'Uncommon' doesn't mean it doesn't occur - in fact it means it does occur - so on that basis there's no reason why you shouldn't have seen an uncommon bird.
Check here to see how commonly-encountered Cooper's hawk might be in your area in October:
If you don't want to sign-in, see this for all-year data:
I fear that the bird in your photo is unidentifiable, as the quality is too low (no offence). If you can upload your video somewhere, and then post a link, that may be helpful.
It looks as though it's probably a long-tailed raptor, and thus may well be an Accipiter, as you have suspected. But its (apparent) plumage-pattern doesn't match anything, so has presumably been produced by your camera's software trying (and failing) to make sense of the low-quality data it's received.
The aspect-ratio of your image seems to have been changed (elongated vertically) at some point, as the proportions of the bird look wrong.

Last edited:
Hi Butty,
Thanks for the welcome and recommending the eBird site.
I also wondered if this might be a sharp-shinned hawk. But if it was the same raptor I saw swooping down within 50ft at a bird feeder, it’s wings we’re not as broad and the body rather slender.
Photo very poor quality since it was a frame off a video from my phone. I will try to upload video although quality not much better yet flight pattern and white marking on back side is visibly. I also have the audio I recorded via Merlin Bird app but it didn’t upload so will try uploading again… Might take a bit as I learn to navigate the site.
Thanks again for your reply and help! :)

Thank-you Indobirder… it appears I have sighted two… Thought I was hearing only one until a second swooped in. I’m trying to upload video of the two flying in/from same tree. But quality isn’t great using phone.
Your reply is appreciated 😊

Here is the video using my phone keeping in very early and not very much light. The white flash on the upper tail rump area appear to be same with both.
Would like to post on eBird as two Cooper’s Hawks… what do you think?
Could they be a breeding pair or juvenile with a adult at this time of year?

Attachments

• IMG_9978.MOV
    18.4 MB
Welcome to BF.
'Uncommon' doesn't mean it doesn't occur - in fact it means it does occur - so on that basis there's no reason why you shouldn't have seen an uncommon bird.
Check here to see how commonly-encountered Cooper's hawk might be in your area in October:
If you don't want to sign-in, see this for all-year data:
I fear that the bird in your photo is unidentifiable, as the quality is too low (no offence). If you can upload your video somewhere, and then post a link, that may be helpful.
It looks as though it's probably a long-tailed raptor, and thus may well be an Accipiter, as you have suspected. But its (apparent) plumage-pattern doesn't match anything, so has presumably been produced by your camera's software trying (and failing) to make sense of the low-quality data it's received.
The aspect-ratio of your image seems to have been changed (elongated vertically) at some point, as the proportions of the bird look wrong.
View attachment IMG_9978.MOV

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back