• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canary Islands virgins! (1 Viewer)

Is it better to book our transfers from Tenerife to Fuerteventura now ( c. 200 Euro) or do it closer to the time in the hope of cheaper fares?

Ha ha, it is two times cheaper to take a RyanAir flight from Tenerife back to the UK or Spain, then another one to Fuertventura. Crazy price.

>>Can't recommend this highly enough:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuertevent...=1551513265&sr=1-1&keywords=fuerteventura+map

I completely agree, it’s a really super, accurate map. I don’t think the same company make one for Tenerife; the one I bought was much sketchier and less useful than the Fuerteventura map.

No, you are right Sam, there isn't an equivalent for TF so I'm still on the hunt!

I'll leave the flights for now and keep an eye on prices! It's the endemics that attract me, vagrants I can take or leave tbh!

Thanks again for your advice,

Chris

Ha ha, it is two times cheaper to take a RyanAir flight from Tenerife back to the UK or Spain, then another one to Fuertventura. Crazy price.

To be fair Jos that is the price for the two of us if I book now, but I know what you mean! I can book flights for next month for c. 50-60 Euro each, so obviously it pays to wait a while!

Chris

Probably not helpful for you Scridifer but seeing this post made me realise I never posted a trip report for Lanzarote last year. I was holidaying with family (inc two toddlers so birding) was not a priority to the extent we didn't even have bins but having got there and remembered houbara was a possibility we a) got them very easily even without bins at the well known Playa Blanco site but perhaps more interestingly to readers b) found a fantastic displaying male on the roadside on the old road to Salinas de Janubio. On the basis anyone picking this thread up by its title may be going to lanzarote as well as Tenerife and will probably got SdJ I thought this worth mentioning somewhere.

Probably not helpful for you Scridifer but seeing this post made me realise I never posted a trip report for Lanzarote last year. I was holidaying with family (inc two toddlers so birding) was not a priority to the extent we didn't even have bins but having got there and remembered houbara was a possibility we a) got them very easily even without bins at the well known Playa Blanco site but perhaps more interestingly to readers b) found a fantastic displaying male on the roadside on the old road to Salinas de Janubio. On the basis anyone picking this thread up by its title may be going to lanzarote as well as Tenerife and will probably got SdJ I thought this worth mentioning somewhere.

Hi Isurus,

As you say not directly helpful for me (this trip at least!) but definitely worth posting!

Many thanks,

Chris

Just to put this thread to bed we got back home late last night after our trip. A roaring success all-round, we thoroughly loved all aspects of both islands and the birding was fantastic!

Only 47 species in total but 15 were Lifers! I got all my targets (with the exception of 3 pelagics I didn't honestly expect to see) and most of the Canarian subspecies. My sincere thanks to all who contributed! Anyone reading this with thoughts of visiting the Canary Islands - I cannot recommend the Crossbill guides highly enough!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back