• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 40d Error 99 (1 Viewer)

Colin M

My local Jessops have just returned my 40d to Canon after about 11 months of useage and only a few hundred actuations.

The error 99 showed twice last Monday, but, I could still shoot.

Saturday night and through today it would not work other than displaying this message. I switched off and on. Recharged the battery and tried with another lens. Nothing made any difference.

What can I expect from Canon? Would you consider paying £79:00 for Jessops extended warranty for the next two years now?

Do Canon normally replace or repair. Do they give you any information.
How long do they normally take?
Any knowledge would be welcome.

Do Canon normally replace or repair. Do they give you any information.
How long do they normally take?
Any knowledge would be welcome.
Probably a bit late now as you may already have had your camera back from Canon. However, my 1D MkkIIN has just come back from Elstree repair centre for the second time. First time repair I included comprehensive notes on the fault. Other than being given a tracking number I heard nothing and it took a while. The tracking number is pretty useless - it just said "your repair is being processed" for nearly two weeks. When it came back it was rapidly apparent that although they had conducted a repair the fault was not fixed. I rang them and was told that the repair was warranteed for six months and that they would take it back at no additional cost. They sent me UPS labels as well so no transit cost either. This time round the engineer rang me as soon as he received it and we talked through the problem in some detail. Repair was conducted in extra quick time. It is now back (and seems fine).

So my first experience was not great - but second time around I'd have to say I'm very happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back