• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 550D (T2i) Announced (1 Viewer)

wrogers

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020806canoneos550d.asp

18 Mp
Full-HD Video
Stereo Sound
3.7 Fps
full list on the link above

Personally, I would rather wait a bit longer to get the money together for a 7D
seems like a fix for the 500D to me, ie the stereo sound and 1080p problems

I would rather it was 50D with video added, rather than a slower, less well built 7D....

anyway people will still buy it, and you never know, it could be better than i think!

What do you think?

This is Canon regaining the ground lost to Nikon. A perfect piece of marketing. An entry level DSLR that offers this amount of features is a winner for them. Forget about the hiher end market, here is an entry level camera that offers 18 MP and full HD. Not even Nikons pro/semi pro offer this level of resolution/full HD video. Canon are playing to those entering the DSLR market where as with anything features rule. It's a consumers world and bigger is alays better there - we all know it maybe isnt but in the consumer world more means better. My take anyway.
Andrew

It´s called Eos 550D in Sweden (Europe) and is said to have the same (almost atleast) sensor as the 7d. Quite nice sensor for that price?

But personally when I move from superzoom to dslr, one of the great features of the dslr for me is that I wont need to go into menyes to change all settings. (Even if some superzooms got more buttons ofcourse). So I want a big robust house, with plenty of dials and buttons, so this is not for me. But surely many others will like it.

T2i/550D has the new 63-zone metering system that was first introduced with the 7D. It also appears to have the same sensor as the 7D despite Canon's claims that they are not identical.

It would be interesting to see if what Canon does about the AF system in 60D: Keep the same one from the 50D or borrow the new one from 7D?

So the new 550D got the same AF as the 7d? That´s really nice then! They really need to update the AF on the 60D then, would be strange to having to buy a xxxD house to get a better af, and in turn get a less robust housing etc.

T2i/550D has the new 63-zone metering system that was first introduced with the 7D. It also appears to have the same sensor as the 7D despite Canon's claims that they are not identical.

It would be interesting to see if what Canon does about the AF system in 60D: Keep the same one from the 50D or borrow the new one from 7D?

So the new 550D got the same AF as the 7d? That´s really nice then! They really need to update the AF on the 60D then, would be strange to having to buy a xxxD house to get a better af, and in turn get a less robust housing etc.

No, 550D got the same (exposure) metering system as the 7D, but not the same AF system. 550D's AF system appears to be the same as 500D.

The question is, other than the larger body size, pentaprism VF and quick control wheel, how can Canon differentiate the 60D from 550D without cannibalizing too much into the 7D sales. IMHO, other than the 18MP sensor, the two big differentiators for the 7D was the new AF system and the new viewfinder. 60D may have to "borrow" at least one of the two.

The 550D has just one cross-type AF sensor whereas the 7D has 19-point all cross-type AF. The superior AF system and the frame rate alone is enough to justify the extra cost of the 7D for me.

Got some good features over the 500d by the look of it. The 7x "digital zoom" on the video looks interesting for birders and could be useful in some circumstances, (although this only gives standard definition video).

Give it a few months for the price to drop, and I'm sure it will appeal to a few birders.

Has anyone tried the cropped video out for birding yet...? The only test video (not birds) I've seen on-line so far is via the link below. This link also mentions the possibility of taking full-frame video and cropping them later. If anyone knows how to do this I be very interested to know about it as I've got a Canon 500D.

http://vimeo.com/groups/eos550d/videos/9879986

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back