• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon 5d mk111 (1 Viewer)

gboy

hi there are two card slots on the 5d do you have to put a cv card and a sd. or can you use any in the slots. regards. geoff.

hi there are two card slots on the 5d do you have to put a cv card and a sd. or can you use any in the slots. regards. geoff.

You only need to put one card in. It will work with either only a cf or a sd card, the camera will connect to whatever is in it.

John

The two slots are CF and SD. The CF slot takes a CF card, the SD slot takes an SD card.

Last edited:
I used to use both a CF card and a SD just in case but the trouble was every time I took the CF card out (to upload images) when I put it back in again the SD card would then be the selected one by the Camera. I then had to remove the SD card and put it back so that the CF was now selected. I am sure there must have been an easier way but it was such a pain in the butt that I no longer even bother with a SD card.
I am surprised that there is not a menu choice whereby you can set it so the Camera always uses the CF card in the event of both cards being available - maybe it is there but I cannot find it.

I am wondering if I am odd - I never remove my card from the camera unless it is full and I am putting a spare in. I have always, with every digital camera I have had, connected the camera to my pc and downloaded the images that way.

Am I the odd one out? :eek!:

Edit: the only thing that I have found, literally a quick google, is a suggestion that the mkiii is made to default to the slowest data transfer option meaning that removing the CF card means it will automatically reset to the SD card. Made me feel a little less odd :)

Last edited:
I am wondering if I am odd - I never remove my card from the camera unless it is full and I am putting a spare in. I have always, with every digital camera I have had, connected the camera to my pc and downloaded the images that way.

Am I the odd one out? :eek!:

Edit: the only thing that I have found, literally a quick google, is a suggestion that the mkiii is made to default to the slowest data transfer option meaning that removing the CF card means it will automatically reset to the SD card. Made me feel a little less odd :)
I would have thought you are in the minority there Paul - I have always used a card reader and so do most folk I know who shoot with a DSLR. I have a USB3 reader (and slot in my PC) which is reckoned to be 10x quicker than a USB2. Using the Camera can be a bit awkward as carrying the card to the PC is a bit easier than carrying the Camera to the PC.You also use the power from the Camera's battery. I also understand that a card reader can give a lot faster data transfer than the Camera (especially if you have USB3). BTW card readers are 'cheap as chips'.

Re your second point, when ever you remove one card it is bound to revert to the other one no matter which card it is! If you elect to use the SD card (via the menu) when both are in the Camera, and then you take out the SD card and then put it back in again the CF card is now selected because that is what it reverted to when you took the SD card out.

Last edited:
OK and the problem is to set the camera so that it always defaults to the CF card when its in the camera, got ya! Will post if I can find an answer but I suspect that they just didn't think of this desire

I used to use both a CF card and a SD just in case but the trouble was every time I took the CF card out (to upload images) when I put it back in again the SD card would then be the selected one by the Camera. I then had to remove the SD card and put it back so that the CF was now selected. I am sure there must have been an easier way but it was such a pain in the butt that I no longer even bother with a SD card.
I am surprised that there is not a menu choice whereby you can set it so the Camera always uses the CF card in the event of both cards being available - maybe it is there but I cannot find it.

You are getting lazy Roy !
I prefer to have that back up and auto switch over rather than desperately searching to find a blank card to replace the full one !
I showed a mutual contact of ours how to set the auto switch over which turned in to a disaster when he hadn't realised that he was now on the second card and it filled up just as three photo lifers arrived at a particular drinking pool all at once. The expletives in the hide as he delved in to his bag for a new card cannot be repeated !!!!
On the subject of the body itself, it's nice to know I'm not alone in failing to read the instruction book but out of interest, no, it's not possible to set the camera to always use the CF card in preference but it's very easy to get in to the habit of when replacing the CF card, once in position just pop the SD card up and push it back in again.Then, the Cf card is seen as the one to be used next.
cheers Dave

The camera only switches to the SD card if you close the door. If you switch one CF card for another CF card without closing the door, the camera continues to record to CF.

The camera only switches to the SD card if you close the door. If you switch one CF card for another CF card without closing the door, the camera continues to record to CF.

When I remove a card from a camera I leave the door open and the camera positioned so that the open door is plain to see. That way I am always reminded of the need to replace the card before I go out shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back