• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Mk II is announced and available for pre-order (2 Viewers)

Yes Phil, very hasty PP... a crop, increase light,reduce noise and sharpen again.
It was actually ISO 5000

The original view in Jpeg ( I shoot RAW) is attached.

Not long ago I never went over ISO 400 on my Nikon D200,ISO 800 on the D300s and then when I went over to Canon my 1DMk1V I limited to 1600. Now , well I'm not sure really. I would like to stick to 1600 but it does depend on the light and situation. With a TC on you lose stops and with a long lens and FX camera you lose DOF too.
I seem to recall reading that you should have a shutter speed to equal your lens length but that is often nowhere near possible unless you push the ISO to the kind of high figures that really do show the noise.

PS Looking at this original again I really should have reduced the shutter speed a little but I didn't have a lot to of room to play with.

Dave
What amazes me is that we, our generation, remember the days when 400 came out on film and how 'grainy' it was. So these high ISO's are incredible and I appreciate the number of stops we can gain. This is especially important for us for many days between October and April with light limitations. So an image at 4000/5000 iso is incredible to me and its a question of balance, expectation and what one is happy with as an individual bearing in mind what size image we require. My size limit is A4 so I have plenty of scope there. So your image looks A Ok to me. Make sense?

Cheers

Phil

Yes Phil, very hasty PP... a crop, increase light,reduce noise and sharpen again.
It was actually ISO 5000

The original view in Jpeg ( I shoot RAW) is attached.

Not long ago I never went over ISO 400 on my Nikon D200,ISO 800 on the D300s and then when I went over to Canon my 1DMk1V I limited to 1600. Now , well I'm not sure really. I would like to stick to 1600 but it does depend on the light and situation. With a TC on you lose stops and with a long lens and FX camera you lose DOF too.
I seem to recall reading that you should have a shutter speed to equal your lens length but that is often nowhere near possible unless you push the ISO to the kind of high figures that really do show the noise.

PS Looking at this original again I really should have reduced the shutter speed a little but I didn't have a lot to of room to play with.

what about the other third of the equation, aperture. I only raise ISO as a last resort.

When i asked about card sizes i wasnt expecting such a huge debate but found it very interesting..
Next question..even though the 7d has silent shooting in the menu will the 7dii be actually silent..if so why does the 7d say silent when it isnt..are there any other canon dslr's with "silent mode"?
Im predicting a scenario in the near future when everybody in the birdhide has a 7dii and all "shooting" kingfisher in silent mode when somebody walks in without one and starts click spraying..alot of tutting later ha ha..

what about the other third of the equation, aperture. I only raise ISO as a last resort.
In my example f8 was the minimum as I had a 2.0x TC on so I could have dropped the shutter speed as I later added but it would have still been a high ISO figure I would think.

Of course, the debate is, would I have been better off with a 7D 2 and no TC then I could shoot at f4 and bring the ISO right down. But did I need to ?

When i asked about card sizes i wasnt expecting such a huge debate but found it very interesting..
Next question..even though the 7d has silent shooting in the menu will the 7dii be actually silent..if so why does the 7d say silent when it isnt..are there any other canon dslr's with "silent mode"?
Im predicting a scenario in the near future when everybody in the birdhide has a 7dii and all "shooting" kingfisher in silent mode when somebody walks in without one and starts click spraying..alot of tutting later ha ha..

The 5D3 has an excellent higher speed shutter which has been previously mentioned.Quoted as 3fps. The 1DX only has a single silent shot and it's horrible, louder than the 1D1V too.

You wouldn't capture those magnificent Kingfisher shots rising out of the water without many, many attempts though unless you had the luck of a lottery winner.

Like Dave I also use the 1DX and can confirm that the silent mode is slow, noisy and of little practical use. When running at full speed (mine is set to 10fps) it is like a small machine gun going off! This seems to attract much human interest and some disfavour, however wildlife couldn't seem to worry.
I don't normally bother to photograph Kingfishers beyond 10 meters (max), I have probably 1000+ frames (+ more from when I had a 1D4) and NO Kingfisher has shown the slightest interest in the racket my camera makes. The only reaction I have ever had (from wildlife) was when a Vixen gave me a rather disdaining look over her shoulder but still stayed around for me to get 50 shots or so.
In my experience people react but the wildlife couldn't care less - much to my surprise!

I am sure when I get a body that can shoot 10fps, I will just for the sheer benefit from hearing the sound! After that brief sojurn I hope I will resort to more appropriate speeds lol!
Still, there's no reason I need to shoot on that unless I want to irritate the crap out of people or end up with 10 exact frames of a standing heron.Just adds editing time :)

I took this shot the other day at ISO 4000 (on 5D3), without being able to use a high ISO like this I would never have got the aperture and shutter speed I wanted. Any improved high ISO performance on the 7D2 will be most welcome.

Attachments

• gold03.jpg
    gold03.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 192
I took this shot the other day at ISO 4000 (on 5D3), without being able to use a high ISO like this I would never have got the aperture and shutter speed I wanted. Any improved high ISO performance on the 7D2 will be most welcome.

As Roy illustrates, it's not just in poor light that it has advantages being able to push the ISO higher. In fact the image is less likely to show any noise at all when it's bright too.

I am sure when I get a body that can shoot 10fps, I will just for the sheer benefit from hearing the sound! After that brief sojurn I hope I will resort to more appropriate speeds lol!
Still, there's no reason I need to shoot on that unless I want to irritate the crap out of people or end up with 10 exact frames of a standing heron.Just adds editing time :)

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to though that sound is sweet!

The rapid frame rate has other benefits as I found during a trip to Pafuri in South Africa. One of the chalets had White-fronted Bee-eaters breeding nearby and were perching regularly by the balcony. A few of us set our cameras up on tripods to get the Bee-eaters flying up to the perch.

My mate with a Nikon managed to get 3 shots of the bird in the frame with one blast - one in the bottom righthand corner, one in the top lefthand corner and one slap bang in the middle. My 40D with a frame rate of 6.5 fps managed to get two shots of the bird in the frame - I think you can guess where!

I usually give a 2-3 shot blast and this is the result with my 7D. I'm sure I would not have been skilful enough to get the killer photo from these 3 on single shot mode. I think these shots illustrate the benefits of a high frame rate well.

Attachments

• SEO1.jpg
    SEO1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 113
  • SEO2.jpg
    SEO2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 138
  • SEO3.jpg
    SEO3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 100

The novelty of very high fps soon wears off when you come to downloading and sorting your images! My camera will shoot at 12fps but I find 10 more useful as, due to the very good shutter release, I can take single frames or multiple frames at will. This is very handy when birds are flying or catching prey. The higher fps of cameras like the 7D2/1DX will help capture a moment but are not an excuse to spray and pray!
These days I take much fewer (better?) images although my camera is much faster - the inevitable learning curve?

Slightly off topic but picture a scenario here in hampshire where a guy still using film cameras trips the shutter using a cable release.instead of the machine gun rattle of dslr's we have the clonk bang,clonk bang vibrating the hide floor.

Cheers.

Steve.B :)

Most people are talking about the abilities of the 7D2 for bird photography - and rightly so!

But I wondered how the 7D2 will compare with a full frame camera (eg 5D3 or 6D) for landscapes and other general photography where no cropping is needed?

Do you think that despite the improvements on the 7D2, a full frame camera will still always out-perform the 7D2 for IQ on landscapes etc?

Most people are talking about the abilities of the 7D2 for bird photography - and rightly so!

But I wondered how the 7D2 will compare with a full frame camera (eg 5D3 or 6D) for landscapes and other general photography where no cropping is needed?

Do you think that despite the improvements on the 7D2, a full frame camera will still always out-perform the 7D2 for IQ on landscapes etc?

On Landscape you have full control being able to use a low iso so I really don't think you would see much between FF or crop.

Rob.

Just had this email from WEX.

The good news is that we have been advised that we should be receiving stock this coming Wednesday 29th October 2014. Providing stock arrives as expected, we will dispatch your order on Wednesday 29th October for next working day delivery.

B :)

Just had this email from WEX.

The good news is that we have been advised that we should be receiving stock this coming Wednesday 29th October 2014. Providing stock arrives as expected, we will dispatch your order on Wednesday 29th October for next working day delivery.

B :)

We'll get a proper evaluation soon then !:t::t::t:

Bet you are a tad :-O:-O:-O:-O excited.

Slightly off topic but picture a scenario here in hampshire where a guy still using film cameras trips the shutter using a cable release.instead of the machine gun rattle of dslr's we have the clonk bang,clonk bang vibrating the hide floor.

Cheers.

Steve.B :)

The name wouldn't rhyme with "fluffy" would it?

John

On Landscape you have full control being able to use a low iso so I really don't think you would see much between FF or crop.

Rob.

I haven't tested this properly yet between my 5D3 and a crop camera, but it does look like a FF sensor gives better results even at low ISOs eg

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=4

Depends on how much you care about fine detail. In very rough comparisons checking on LCD between a 7D+10-22 and a 5D3+17-40 the fine details are much better on the 5D3 and I consider the two lenses pretty comparable. How much of that is down to sensor size or sensor technology is debatable.

On a recent trip to the Lake District I pretty much only used the 5D3 and even in LiveView the sharpness at 10x mag was noticabley better than what I am used to on a 60D/7D. Then again my better half took probably the best shot of the whole trip on a cameraphone so maybe we worry too much about the tech!

It all depends on just how good the 7D2 is really, we're all speculating on something that hasn't been tested anywhere near enough yet. It's also worth bearing in mind that wide-angle work on FF and APS-C tend to need a comletely different set of lenses so it's not the just the investment in the camera that's at stake.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back