• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Mk II is announced and available for pre-order (1 Viewer)

I still haven't used the 7Dmark2 anywhere other than my back garden.

I microdadjusted the camera following the disappointing first set of images. I've then used on linnets at a robin at about 8-10 metres and found a large proportion of the images to be softer than I would expect. I can't find an explanation for this.

Is anyone getting tack sharp images at 100%? Consistently?

EDIT. I should add the bank note images used in testing came out bang on. It just seems to be in the field on live subjects.

Last edited:
Is anyone getting tack sharp images at 100%? Consistently?

Not anywhere near consistently (that never happens!).

But I'm pretty happy with it, here are some 100% crops (from DPP, standard picture style).

Most of the shots I've been taking have been in low light though. I've dumped a lot, perhaps I was expecting too much. For those hoping for a low light, high ISO beast I'm not sure the 7D2 delivers..................but I need more time with it (I'm still getting used to some of the AF settings).

Attachments

• _MG_1434.JPG
    _MG_1434.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 185
  • _MG_1927.JPG
    _MG_1927.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 162
  • _MG_3273.JPG
    _MG_3273.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 148
  • _MG_3540.JPG
    _MG_3540.JPG
    447.8 KB · Views: 135
It looks like you were photographing it through a window! Have you done a pair wise comparison with the 7DMk1 with all other variables controlled? I'd like to see that somewhere.

cheers, alan

Well no, because the bird flew away! Side by side comparisons on static objects the 7d2 seems okay. Its shooting stuff that is moving that seems to be the issue and I don't mean flying I just mean not static.

I shot a fence post straight after the linnet and it is nice and sharp.

Will take out the 5d3 tomorrow so I can try and get some in field shots to compare...

Some ISO tests on a hazy lighthouse. According to google it is 2.14 miles away(!)

I'll try and find a better subject.

Attachments

• iso400.jpg
    iso400.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 135
  • iso800.jpg
    iso800.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 78
  • iso1600.jpg
    iso1600.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 78
  • iso3200.jpg
    iso3200.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 73
  • iso6400.jpg
    iso6400.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Right tomorrow I will get out the 7d, 5d3 and 7d2 and see what I can capture for comparison purposes.

Can you do something in very dull light?! I'm really interested in how 7d vs 7mkII compares on say ISO1600 with all other variables the same. I wouldn't get a Mk2 if there was a loss of IQ even if the noise on high ISO was reduced. My most important photos are taken in poor light in forest conditions, trying to avoid using flash.

James E - a direct comparison would be useful! B :)

cheers, alan

Interesting that no one, other than people paid by Canon, yet seems to have said wow this camera is amazing: everyone seems to be underwhelmed unless I am interpreting comments wrongly. Battery life sounds a potential problem which will surely be worse in very cold weather, 20D batteries used to die on me below -3C: even the amazing (in his words) A R---e only used it up to 1600 ISO on tame deer and there still doesn't seem to be a real AF action test but did notice in Canon tips it says to turn off colour detection in AF as it noticeably slows down AF speed and acquisition so if that is the case it's not going to be a lot of use for flying birds?

Interesting that no one, other than people paid by Canon, yet seems to have said wow this camera is amazing: everyone seems to be underwhelmed unless I am interpreting comments wrongly. Battery life sounds a potential problem which will surely be worse in very cold weather, 20D batteries used to die on me below -3C: even the amazing (in his words) A R---e only used it up to 1600 ISO on tame deer and there still doesn't seem to be a real AF action test but did notice in Canon tips it says to turn off colour detection in AF as it noticeably slows down AF speed and acquisition so if that is the case it's not going to be a lot of use for flying birds?

I've been expressing doubts about the battery life, but other than that I'm happy with the camera.

Having said that I was out today and fired off another 100 shots on the camera on Manual, Av and Tv with Auto ISO for the Tv shots. Battery count is now 463 with 11% remaining, so it seems to be performing a bit better as the charge reduces, but that may be a by-product of treating it with kid gloves regarding replays etc.

I may turn out to be surprised by the time I need a charge. On current form I might finish with about 520 or even better - significantly more than the 350ish I was looking at when the charge was 50% - we'll see.

Regarding high ISO here is the goldcrest shot I posted a couple of weeks ago, taken at ISO 5000. (Tv, 1/1000 sec, F6.3, Auto ISO). The sun was out, but the bushes and trees overhead reduced the light considerably, hence the high ISO.

The first picture is as it came from the camera, unedited apart for resizing for the web

The second image is cropped and a bit of sharpening with no noise reduction.

The third image is the same as (2) but with Neat Image noise reduction applied selectively to bird (20% luminosity, 5% chrominance) and to background (50% in chrominance & luminosity). My old 7D wouldn't have done anything like that on ISO 5000.

The sanderlings (and purple sandpiper) were flying against surf in awful light, ISO 800, 1/1600, F 6.3 Manual (slight under-exposure). The autofocus found them.

All shots with the 400/F5.6 prime.

Attachments

• Goldcrest-(4)-full-web.jpg
    Goldcrest-(4)-full-web.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Goldcrest-(4)-sharpened-web.jpg
    Goldcrest-(4)-sharpened-web.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Goldcrest-(4)-web.jpg
    Goldcrest-(4)-web.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Sanderling (2)-web.jpg
    Sanderling (2)-web.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
My gut feeling is that something in the AF settings isn't right or I'm not using it right. I can fire a burst at a post and some are sharper than others. With the 5d they are all the same. It's hard to explain other than the camera seems inconsistent so far.

The light is good here just now so testing the AF tracking on some BIF

I tried the 7d, 5d3 and 7d2. The 7d2 was best at tracking. It was close with the 5d3 but as the subjects are smaller in the full frame locking on can take a little longer.

The IQ from the 7d (average), and 5d3 (good) is consistent but I have found the 7d2 to be inconsistent again. The one in the 7d3 sequence is bag on - I'd be chuffed if they were all like that.

See images below. 500f4 at 5.6 ISO 400 0EV. DPP import, cropped CS6, no other edits.

7d
5d3
7d2

And finally 7d2 to show the variability in tracking. I just don't get this much inconsistency with the others. It's not a one off lots of the image sequences are like this.Is there a setting off somewhere?

EDIT: all 100% crops

Attachments

• 7d.jpg
    7d.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 5d3.jpg
    5d3.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 7d2.jpg
    7d2.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 7d2 comp.jpg
    7d2 comp.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Marcus
Have you got the tracking set to slow ?for bif I find this to be best overall.

Just tried a burst in one shot and single point -Then in servo single point on a static subject I did this several times and out of about 100 shots only a few had the drift you talked about and it was tiny .

Rob.
Battery level has 687 shots and 65% charge left.

Marcus
Have you got the tracking set to slow ?for bif I find this to be best overall.

Just tried a burst in one shot and single point -Then in servo single point on a static subject I did this several times and out of about 100 shots only a few had the drift you talked about and it was tiny .

Rob.
Battery level has 687 shots and 65% charge left.

Thanks Rob are you able to upload some 100% crops so I can see what type of IQ you are getting for birds.

I've changed the sensitivity. I had it the same as my 5d3 which is equal. I've never found it makes much difference with something slow like a gull. But I'll try anything.

from the raw, standard picture style just resized .
1000sec f4 iso 800 AI servo
Rob

Attachments

• mar-2.jpg
    mar-2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 132
  • mar-1.jpg
    mar-1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 176
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back