• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 80D? (1 Viewer)

I'm totally torn as I will probably get a lens and body so am not really restricted to Canon as I only have one lens. Am loth to give up on my trusty 400/5.6 but in this situation I could go for Nikon D500 and 200-500... Would prefer to stay with Canon but not hearing great things about the 80D AF and really do want a screen which moves...
Sean

the 200-500 is good, but it's a much bigger lens,
I wouldn't give up the 400/5.6..

Looks like DPReview's tracking test of the 80D wasn't very reliable - subsequent results of others have been much better so it's back in the frame for me. Shame about the spot focusing though...
Sean

For better or worse I decided to stick with Canon (rather than change to Nikon or m43 today) and picked up an EOS80D.
As a step up from 2007 EOS40D I'm sure I'm going to notice some improvements.
Probably mostly insects over the summer but time will tell re. birds and BIFs in particular
Russ

For BIF, and if I had to buy a new camera, I'd also go with Steve's suggestion to get a 1d mkiv. I don't have one, but I have a couple of 1ds mkII bodies which although very old now still do a great job, and the mkiv is probably in the same league if not better from what I gather.

If you've never tried a 1d series body, you won't know what you're missing, and 2nd hand is a great way of doing so... I usually wait till they are about 1/10 of the price when they were new, which IMO is a bargain for fully pro gear. For example I paid £545 for my latest 1ds mkII (inc postage, and hardly used!) a year or two ago, which cost me over £5000 when I first bought one.

I did just get a 70d (2nd hand for £535) primarily for astrophotography/the high ISO capability as I don't really have a crop sensor body that has these advantages, and also because I wanted to try a bit of videography. Going back to using non-1d series bodies feels a bit strange. I prefer the 1d series! But it has been fun trying to shoot video of birds with the 600/4. A bit frustrating perhaps, but I've only had the 70d for a couple of days and am still getting used to it. The rotating/adjustable screen and live view are great features that I've not had the pleasure of experiencing before I have to say!

I'm upgrading from 70D to 80D and should have the new camera tomorrow. The choice between 7D2 and 80D was tough but from what I've read the 80D has superior dynamic range and that won me over.

So far the 80D is looking good and I haven't really set it up the way that I want it yet. The attached has much more detail under the wings than when shot and before I tried to recover the detail.

It's without doubt an upgrade on the 70D and quite a good one with this type of photograph when the sun is high and to the side.

Attachments

• Red Kite 1.jpg
    Red Kite 1.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 441
I might be mad but I think I have just about decided to get an 80D as an upgrade to my 7D, rather than a 7D Mk2. I think the AF for BIFs will be a significant upgrade from the 7D even if it's nowhere near the 7Dii, and its other features - wifi, swively screen, strong video performance, swing it for me.

I'd just really like to hear from someone who has compared the BIF AF of the 7D original with the 80D to confirm it really will be a big step up. I will try it out before I buy but not sure I'll actually be able to take it outside the shop and fire away at starlings and sparrows...

Sean

The ergonomics are nice for me coming from 40d. The screen is very good and for me the modus operandi means the screen is face down which will prevent scratching etc. Also being folded away dissuades me from 'chimping' too much!!
The pixel increase is nice which for record shots is great.
Images are nice quality and there is some improvement in noise but it still seems streets behind other manufacturers.
Wifi works faultlessly
Multi controller is frankly a bit rubbish
Lockable mode dial is a godsend for me.
Unsuprisingly battery life is good.
I've borrowed others settings from the internet, played around with most settings but, other than big slow stuff BIF is definitely not a strong point.
To clarify I only used 100mm 2.8 macro and marlk 1 100-400 for BIF.
Maybe a newer, faster lens would help.

Russ

Hmm that's disappointing. I will use the 400 f5.6. Wish this wasn't so darn complicated... Have you used the 7di Tarsiger? If so how does the 80d do compared to it?
Thanks
Sean
Sean

Sean
Sorry, never owned 7D1 so can't comment.
Good luck with your choice. I'm certain the 400 fixed focuses quicker than the 100-400 mark 1.
Russ

Anyone try f/8 autofocus on the 80d The unit I bought just wandered in and out without focusing using the 300mm f/4 and 500mm f/4 with 2x converter II. I am renting the 7D II to see of it will autofocus with those combinations.
Mike

i have had the 80d for around 3-4 months now ,so lets go through my findings ,dynamic range is awesome ,allowing lots of pics to be pulled back from obscurity ,i.s.o range up to date the highest i have used is 5000 iso in dark woodland ,the resulting image after normal noise reduction techniques was virtually noise free .
A/F i must admit i'm struggling a bit with this i would have preferred to go straight from single point to all point a.f instead of 3 clicks to get there .i also find theres a slight lag in the initial lock on but once it acquires it it tends to stick like glue .
i did try some net suggested a/f changes in menu but there not conclusive .again this is only for b.i.f and i'm probably hampered a bit by using a sigma 150-600mm sport hand held .
the addition of a meike battery grip has helped the balance of the camera immensely .
overall its not a beginners camera ,its a vast improvement over the 70D in every way possible and i wouldn't hesitate to tell people to get one ,and personally i rate it above the 7d2 for general photography the slight difference in fps and a/f don't really make that much difference in practical use

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back