• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 8x20 vs. 10x20 (1 Viewer)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,
I am looking for information on the small stabilized Canon, and I would like to know your opinion on the models with which I doubt, the 8x20 and the 10x20 ...
thank you very much
PG.

I can only talk about the 8x20, see here:
What in my view clearly speaks against the 10x20 model is the tiny 2 mm exit pupil. There is only half a mm more in the 8x20, which seems insignificant, but it isn‘t. Just my view.

Canip

Not Canon responsive, but I've found the stabilized Nikon 10x25 to be a really nice compact glass, fits a coat pocket almost like an 8x20, optically good and very effective IS.
Still only available from Japan afaik, (use Tenso ( Forwarding service connecting overseas customers and Japanese online stores [tenso.com]) and order from Amazon.jp), not waterproof, uses a CR2 battery and has a somewhat quirky IS setup, but works well.

Not Canon responsive, but I've found the stabilized Nikon 10x25 to be a really nice compact glass, fits a coat pocket almost like an 8x20, optically good and very effective IS.
Still only available from Japan afaik, (use Tenso ( Forwarding service connecting overseas customers and Japanese online stores [tenso.com]) and order from Amazon.jp), not waterproof, uses a CR2 battery and has a somewhat quirky IS setup, but works well.
Thank you for the replies,can be a good candidate for the random...

Hello,
I am looking for information on the small stabilized Canon, and I would like to know your opinion on the models with which I doubt, the 8x20 and the 10x20 ...
thank you very much
PG.
The Canon 8x20 IS and 10x20 IS are both excellent small compact stabilized binoculars. The optics aren't equal to the alpha compacts like the Swarovski 8x25 CLP or Zeiss Victory 8x25, but they make up for it by having stabilization. For a fairly small, lightweight binocular, with an average FOV you will see more detail in them than the alpha compacts because of the steady view. The optics in these are quite good, and the stabilization is exceptional. I highly recommend them.

8x20. The exit pupil is small as it is. For some situations too small. And yes, I know both models. Kept the 8x20.

Hermann
True, the exit pupil is small but but the IS helps keep it aligned with your eyes IMO. The little Canon 8x20 IS and 10x20 IS are kind of plasticky and cheap looking, but they are deceptively good optically. All the Canon's have pretty good optics, but they are not quite alpha level except for the Canon 10x42 IS because they generally don't use any HD glass except the 10x42.

I'd been dithering about a pair of Canon 8x20 IS for some time, desiring something lighter than my 12x32 IS to carry on our walks. Fortunately, I ran into a good deal on a lightly used pair about a month ago. I am very happy with them. The IS works exceptionally well, the focus is smooth and predictable, and the optics are very good. My original inclination had been for the 10x20 version. Not being able to compare the two, the 8x20 seemed a safer choice, but I suspect the 10x20s would have also been agreeable. In the world of amateur astronomy, where folks often look at dim, barely visible celestial sights, aperture and magnification are now generally considered before exit pupil. Increasing either increases what can be seen.

Clear skies, Alan

I'd been dithering about a pair of Canon 8x20 IS for some time, desiring something lighter than my 12x32 IS to carry on our walks. Fortunately, I ran into a good deal on a lightly used pair about a month ago. I am very happy with them. The IS works exceptionally well, the focus is smooth and predictable, and the optics are very good. My original inclination had been for the 10x20 version. Not being able to compare the two, the 8x20 seemed a safer choice, but I suspect the 10x20s would have also been agreeable. In the world of amateur astronomy, where folks often look at dim, barely visible celestial sights, aperture and magnification are now generally considered before exit pupil. Increasing either increases what can be seen.

Clear skies, Alan
The Canon IS 10x20's are surprisingly good. You wouldn't think so with only a 2 mm exit pupil, but in seeing detail they will beat a Zeiss Victory 10x25.

I'd been dithering about a pair of Canon 8x20 IS for some time, desiring something lighter than my 12x32 IS to carry on our walks. Fortunately, I ran into a good deal on a lightly used pair about a month ago. I am very happy with them. The IS works exceptionally well, the focus is smooth and predictable, and the optics are very good. My original inclination had been for the 10x20 version. Not being able to compare the two, the 8x20 seemed a safer choice, but I suspect the 10x20s would have also been agreeable.
Having used both in the field quite a bit I think you made the right decision. In terrestrial viewing even the 2.5mm exit pupil of the 8x20 is a bit small. The 10x20 is even worse, especially if you use it for longer walks.

Hermann

I also have the 12x36 is canon but for daily walks I'm looking for something more manageable, less weight and volume, I don't know if any of these would fit me better than some other truly pocket-sized and similar quality.

Hi,
I saw one Canon 8x25 IS for 300 Euro, new, is comparable for the actual 8x20 IS?
Worth? Or best the 8x20 IS but More price?
Thanks,
PP.

The 8x25 has been discontinued. It belongs to the older generation of compact IS Canons - 8x25, 10x30, 12x36. I personally would go for the 8x20, not the 8x25.
Canip

The Canon 8x25 IS does not compare to the newer Canon 8x20 IS. I think the Canon 8x25 IS is one of the poorest in the Canon IS line. On the other hand, the new Cannon 8x20 IS is quite good.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back