• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS 7D-Good for Birding ? (1 Viewer)

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Hi;

I am about to buy a Canon EOS 7D (probably tomorrow!), but I'm having last minute doubts :-C So is Canon EOS 7D good for bird photographing?

I know there are much better cameras for birds; but this is as far as my budget goes. And not to mention this will be my first camera :)

8 fps., 1.6x crop factor, superb shutter speed and all other bunch of stuff are really good for bird photography I think.

I will use it with Canon 400mm f:5.6; which (oddly) I don't have much doubts about :)

So am I doing the right choice? :)

Thanks! o:D

I'm waiting the release of the 70D as I want its video capability and the reticulated screen - if I didn't want these 2 factors I would have bought a 7D months ago.

Thank you all, I am finely convinced with the help of your brilliant answers:) I know there are better cameras but seems like with my current budget, 7D is the best choice.

Besides I know many birders with 7D and they are extremely happy with it.
Thanks for your help :)

There are rumours that Canon will be launching an upgraded 7D some time in the next year. Up to now I am happy with my 600D but improved specs and a much faster fps burst in Raw would make it very tempting, should it be a big upgrade. Has anyone heard anything more specific?

Yes Canon will release the Canon 7D Mark II in early 2014; I just couldn't wait for it.

Me neither! ;)

I'm actually in the process of upgrading from a 600D to a 7D.

I also use a 400 5.6. & have been very happy with my 600D but I'm looking forward to having the faster fps. |8)|

In any case, I'm afraid I just wouldn't be able to afford a brand new Canon 7D Mark II.

Cheers,
Dick

Well I didn't buy it because:
- It took ages for me to find an opportunity to buy a camera, and if I waited for Mark II to come, that opportunity may never come again

-I'm sure 7DM2 has some nice new features but I'm new at this and I doubt I will use those new features.

-Even when it comes out, I don't think many people will suddenly upgrade to 7DM2. So if I upgraded to M2 and had a problem with the camera, I couldn't ask anyone about it as everybody would still be using 7D.

And 7D+400mm 5.6 is just a magnificent combination and is more than enough for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back