• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS1DX MkIII rumours, speculation, field test escapees, teasers & announcements (1 Viewer)

1DX II users should be right at home then .....
https://www.canonrumors.com/a-bit-more-about-the-canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-cr2/

With Nikon and Sony plateauing at 24MP, and given this Canon 'revelation' , I'd be very surprised if they went beyond this resolution too. Welcome to the future ......

Chosun :gh:

Presumably larger pixels allow for measurably better dynamic range and lower noise, both important factors for pro photographers. What puzzles me is that the megapixel race is still ongoing elsewhere even though the new top tier FF cameras remain at 24MP. The higher MP count requires more processing and more storage, not to mention much tighter lens specification, so where is the benefit?
No commercially available screen offers anywhere near 50MP resolution, so one can only see the increased pixel count by cropping the image or by printing a monster blowup at some expense. It is a puzzlement. Any good explanation apart from market competition?

Presumably larger pixels allow for measurably better dynamic range and lower noise, both important factors for pro photographers. What puzzles me is that the megapixel race is still ongoing elsewhere even though the new top tier FF cameras remain at 24MP. The higher MP count requires more processing and more storage, not to mention much tighter lens specification, so where is the benefit?
No commercially available screen offers anywhere near 50MP resolution, so one can only see the increased pixel count by cropping the image or by printing a monster blowup at some expense. It is a puzzlement. Any good explanation apart from market competition?
I think you hit it on the nail, PR departments thinking this is what they need ...

Niels

I believe that high-end magazines might use up to 300dpi, so an 8"x10" print is 7.2 MP. 24MP is about a 16"x16" print at 300dpi. Most computer displays are well under 300 ppi.

I think these high-end high-frame rate cameras are topping out around 24MP because that is a pretty sweet spot for ISO noise, diffraction sensitivity, DoF quality, and resolution. It probably also makes a non-blocking card write or deep buffer much easier than higher MP sensors. These are not fine art or landscape cameras.

Marc

I believe that high-end magazines might use up to 300dpi, so an 8"x10" print is 7.2 MP. 24MP is about a 16"x16" print at 300dpi. Most computer displays are well under 300 ppi.

I think these high-end high-frame rate cameras are topping out around 24MP because that is a pretty sweet spot for ISO noise, diffraction sensitivity, DoF quality, and resolution. It probably also makes a non-blocking card write or deep buffer much easier than higher MP sensors. These are not fine art or landscape cameras.

Marc
Agree with that ....... for now ....
The development announcement for the Nikon D6 seems to have them addressing the important areas of processing speed, capacity, and data transfer.

Eventually though, in order to make 8K broadcasting ecosystems a reality, these high speed PRO cameras are going to have to increase resolution to the 33~50MP range. We haven't seen that yet because of the difficulty in processing that data both in and out of camera, and because the broadcast and display system hasn't evolved widely to that format yet. (I love watching 3D movies on my 4K television display, I can only imagine that 8K would be next level and allow for bigger, faster, displays than the 80-100-odd inch ones now).
Should offer some handy cropability flexibility for birders when that does happen though :t:

I wonder how Canon expects to gain an edge on Nikon and Sony in this market segment for 2020 ...... seems like they are aiming for the bronze medal again ...........

I think the increased resolution is all about detail, ~60MP FF roughly equalling 24MP APS-C, certainly useful for wildlife /birds. FF would have to get to 80MP to be equivalent to 20MP MFT (roughly also equivalent to Canon's new 32MP APS-C sensor).

The limits to adding more MP (apart from die size and sensor architecture) is processing and memory - that is data transfer internally and externally. Greater requirements here come at greater heat and economic costs. You can pretty much track increasing resolution with these drivers and developments.

With these high speed PRO machines the extra MP is all about flexibility. Flexibility to crop off centre and capture something that otherwise may be missed, or just to present the composition better.

These 2020 PRO machines will be workhorses rather than spec-sheet glamour pusses ..... the big question in my mind is who is going to come out as the AF top dog?

I can only hope such AF and speed improvements flow down to APS-C , D500S, 7D III, and a7000, level next year, as these glacial evolutions don't inspire me to carry 1.4kg of body around (actually these days I don't think anything could now that mirrorless is here - I will wait for a do it all higher res PRO FF mirrorless at about half the weight) :cat:

Last edited:
Canon Announces .......

The Development Announcement .......... :cat:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/94037...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

Still no resolution given, but it is a new sensor.

Canon certainly is not backwards in coming forward ! :eek!:
"The innovations put forth by the new EOS-1D X Mark III will set the new standard for professional DSLR cameras and further cement Canon’s commitment to its professional photographers"

We shall see ....... :cat:

Last edited:
B&H has the 1dxIII listed with some specs

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1512601-REG/canon_eos_1d_x_mark_iii.html/specs

Updated CMOS Sensor and DIGIC Processors
16 fps Shooting with Viewfinder
20 fps Shooting During Live View
4K 10-Bit 4:2:2 Internal Video Recording

When using the optical viewfinder the camera will use a new autofocus sensor, with approximately 28 times the resolution in the center of the EOS-1D X Mark II.

In Live View mode, users will be able to make use of 525 AF areas using the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system will cover approximately 90x100 percent of the image sensor.

Last edited:

Niels, earlier rumours had this 1DX III being 6K capable, but I'm not seeing any reference to that in the Development Announcement. Canon would need a 24MP sensor for this, and while we can guess this is at least the resolution of the new sensor, we don't know for sure yet.

The only thing the DA has said for sure about video is this:
"The power of 4K resolution brings stories to life – shoot 4K videos including 4K60p with 10-bit 4:2:2 Canon Log internal recording.".

I also didn't see any mention of IBIS in the DA, so performance vs the D6 in this regard will be a rather interesting battle of video and low light capability.

There seems enough wiggle room in the spec that depending on how the new AF capability pans out, Canon may do a bit better than the Bronze medal dias. It will be interesting ...... :cat:

Niels, Interesting that the Panasonic S1H has been certified by Netflix as a primary camera.
https://m.dpreview.com/news/3780680...n-making-it-smallest-only-stills-video-camera

The Canon 1DX III should also be suitable though I am not sure yet whether it can meet the 400Mbps requirement internally, or will need an external recording device ....

Early details of the 1DX III have it capable of 16fps through the OVF, and 20fps in Live View with the mechanical shutter, so it sounds like a redesigned mechanism. http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nik...-nikon-canon/canons-1dx-mark-iii-develop.html

There are also enhancements to AF so perhaps they will challenge Nikon in this regard (Nikon has been super silent with details on the D6, so maybe they are digesting the Canon news and making last minute enhancements?)

Hopefully (fingers crossed) Canon have also made the most of the opportunity and fixed up the widely reported 'oil spray' issues as well.

Interview with men responsible for the 1DX III development

Interesting interview with Mr.Toshio Matsumoto, Senior Principal Engineer, and Mr. Kazuyuki Suzuki, Chief of Operations, from Canon's Image Communication Business group. Mr. Matsumoto is known within Canon as the 'father of the EOS-1'.
https://m.dpreview.com/interviews/6888036612/canon-interview-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-2019

As is typical Canon they have let nothing new slip, though I do get the impression they are quietly confident with this MkIII iteration. The interview reveals some fascinating insights into how we got to here with largely 30 year old ergonomics still going strong, and likely future directions that aren't specifically tied to DSLR or Mirrorless. For now enough PRO's favour the view through the OVF, though Canon is keeping a close eye ('see' what I did there ! :) on developments in EVF technology ...... :cat:

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III price released at £4966 ($6,499)

Also Capable of Recording 5.4K RAW Internal Video

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back