• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon G1 X (1 Viewer)

Neil

I've been using the G1 X for a couple of months and have taken it on a couple of trips as my main travel camera. It takes great images and videos and has all the features we've come to expect from the G Series cameras plus the big sensor.
I've even been digiscoping with it but that is not for the faint of heart.
Anyone who has used a G Series camera will find it very similar to use.
Here are a few images from it and more can be seen on my Flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157629508766997/
Neil
ps the flamingo was digiscoped on the Kowa lens/scope

Hong Kong,
China
July 2012

Attachments

• warriewood wetlands G1X IMG_2550.jpg
    warriewood wetlands G1X IMG_2550.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 108
  • bund shanghai G1X IMG_2994.jpg
    bund shanghai G1X IMG_2994.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 111
  • flamingo G1X kw25x DPP07DC0517162F55.jpg
    flamingo G1X kw25x DPP07DC0517162F55.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 167
  • village pyrenees G1X IMG_4126.jpg
    village pyrenees G1X IMG_4126.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 123
  • village pyrenees G1X IMG_4145.jpg
    village pyrenees G1X IMG_4145.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 111
Neil

I appreciate anymore info you are willing to give regarding digiscoping with the G1X. Or if you have elaborated elsewhere please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Rich

Neil

I appreciate anymore info you are willing to give regarding digiscoping with the G1X. Or if you have elaborated elsewhere please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Rich

Rich
There is a short thread under Digiscoping Cameras but I haven't added to it for a while.
It's a difficult camera to digiscope with so I can't recommend it. If you have a Kowa 25xLER eyepiece you can select 1.5x crop which can get rid of vignetting. The Canon G12 would be a better choice with the 25x eyepiece.
I'm thinking about the Nikon 7700 but I will have to test it first.
Neil

Rich
There is a short thread under Digiscoping Cameras but I haven't added to it for a while.
It's a difficult camera to digiscope with so I can't recommend it. If you have a Kowa 25xLER eyepiece you can select 1.5x crop which can get rid of vignetting. The Canon G12 would be a better choice with the 25x eyepiece.
I'm thinking about the Nikon 7700 but I will have to test it first.
Neil

Thanks Neil

I'd love to be able to use the G1x but it looks unlikely. I have Swaro scope anyway. I am thinking of getting the 25-50 Swaro lens and i was hoping you could tell me if there is a similar camera, perhaps the G12 than i can use with this.

Thanks

Thanks Neil

I'd love to be able to use the G1x but it looks unlikely. I have Swaro scope anyway. I am thinking of getting the 25-50 Swaro lens and i was hoping you could tell me if there is a similar camera, perhaps the G12 than i can use with this.

Thanks

Rich,
If you want the best at the moment have a look at the Sony RX100. Digiscopes well behind any eyepiece. The Nikon V1 with 11-27.5 zoom or 10-30 zoom also works well with the Swaro zoom and is a good price at the moment - best value-for-money out there now.
You need a universal adapter for the rx100 ( eg Vortex PS100 ) but the V1 has filter threads in the lens which can be screwed onto the DCA adapter with a 40.5/52 step up ring, or you can use a universal adapter.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back