• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Powershot SX70 HS review (2 Viewers)

Thanks for that, Chris. I for one was hoping this camera was going to be a good upgrade from my old SX50. It has a lot of features that appealed to me, but I can't understand why a company such as Canon would put out a camera which, according to the review, takes a backward step in image quality. Looks like I'll be saving my money.

Malcolm

It's not just, Canon that does it, Malcom - years ago I was looking forward to upgrading from the Panasonic FZ150 to the FZ200, but regardless of the useful technical upgrades, the IQ was no better, and often worse. A few years after that, I had a similar experience with the Sony A58 (DSLT) and the "upgraded" A68.

So they all do it, and it makes no sense to me either.

I'm not taking the review that is discussed here very seriously. Most of the photos they included were shot under overcast skies, with very high ISO levels. The motorcycle photos were posted a couple of months ago and none of them are sharply focused. I've seen a few shots posted on discussion forums from the SX70, that look very good. Before a week has passed, I expect there will be many more photos from it on photo-hosting websites, such as Flickr.

This sx70 model has to compete with the likes of the nikon p900 which has already proved itself capable in the iq stakes.This canon brings nothing new to the table at all as far as i can see......overcrowding a small sensor with more pixels is the last thing they needed to do.
Maybe canon have surrended to the p900/1000....this camera certainly won't hurt nikon.

I'm not taking the review that is discussed here very seriously.

Agreed. - Techradar has published a review that seems fair. It includes a nice & sharp telephoto of a starling. The real test, for me, will be opinions from birders comparing the SX50 and SX70 based on personal experience. The Techradar piece is encouraging, however, saying "[the AF] generally brings subjects to focus speedily" and the following remark:
Shot-to-shot times are also very good, even when shooting raw files, which is particular useful at the telephoto end when you might want to capture a few frames to compensate for less-than-steady framing.

This reviewer at least knows something about shooting at the long end. :t:

The real test, for me, will be opinions from birders comparing the SX50 and SX70 based on personal experience.

Agree. Static reviews are a bit worthless to me. It's the side by side next to the SX50 at the long end of the zoom that will make my decision for me.

I'm not ready myself to jump into that effort.

This sx70 model has to compete with the likes of the nikon p900 which has already proved itself capable in the iq stakes.This canon brings nothing new to the table at all as far as i can see......overcrowding a small sensor with more pixels is the last thing they needed to do.
Maybe canon have surrended to the p900/1000....this camera certainly won't hurt nikon.
Hi Neil. I suspect it won't be long before there's a significant price difference between the P900 and SX70. Early adopters seem to pay a hefty premium. The P1000 is twice the price. On price alone I wouldn't consider the SX70 to be a rival to the P1000.

I know when I (stupidly:-C) left my SX50 at the side of a Scottish Loch, and had to replace it, the competition from Nikon was the P600 (on a pound for pound basis).

Really enjoying your photos on the other thread btw. I know I've said it before, but that Water Rail picture is a belter. :t:

Rich

The real test, for me, will be opinions from birders comparing the SX50 and SX70 based on personal experience.
Or for that matter, SX60 vs. SX70.

The Photography Blog link would lead me suspect what I was already worried about...the SX60 already has too much noise above ISO400 and a boost to 20MP without some huge breakthrough in in-camera processing is a bad idea. I still think 16MP sensor in the SX60 was already a small step backwards from the SX50's 12MP sensor.

Anyone have any other SX70 review links yet? I mean real reviews, not preview reviews or reviews barfing-up Canon's marketing materials? |:p|

Hi Neil. I suspect it won't be long before there's a significant price difference between the P900 and SX70. Early adopters seem to pay a hefty premium. The P1000 is twice the price. On price alone I wouldn't consider the SX70 to be a rival to the P1000.

I know when I (stupidly:-C) left my SX50 at the side of a Scottish Loch, and had to replace it, the competition from Nikon was the P600 (on a pound for pound basis).

Really enjoying your photos on the other thread btw. I know I've said it before, but that Water Rail picture is a belter. :t:

Rich

Thanks for that bud,it's much appreciated.

That review seems rather more positive than the one by Photography Blog, although it doesn't go into nearly as much depth. I'm beginning to wonder if, for my limited purposes, this camera might be a contender after all.

It would be especially interesting to see reviews from birders who have decided to give the SX70 a try.

Malcolm

Sorry - I've now changed the link in my post. English version.

Thanks. Not a bad review but still it's the side by side against the SX50 that I need.

The photo of the ship was impressive but again, could the SX50 have done just as well?

I don't know anything about optics and the physics of it all. That ship was likely several kilometers away. Birds are usually 10 - 20 meters or so. I don't know if at maximum zoom if they distance would change things.

That ship though was certainly photographed on a good air day. Ripply air often seems the biggest variable at very long distances.

at this date, I feel like those of us interested but not quite ready to take the plunge are waiting to see who goes first and tests the SX70. I'm currently trying to find a local source.
After a delay in receiving the camera, the local Best Buy sold out immediately, the day they came out, at least according to the website. I am going to stop today and see if that report matches reality. I went to the nearby Walmart website who lists them as coming from a third party, Pixibytes. Reviews for the camera date back to May of this year! They also show an external battery charger, which I understand is not the case. Priced at $544 for the camera plus a card and "charger". Doesn't seem possible. I may go there today and confront the sales people at the electronics section.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-Po...Pixi-Accessories-Starter-Bundle-Kit/376678244

I'm leaving for 12 days of birding and camping in Georgia and Florida on Friday so time has just about run out to find a replacement for my elderly SX50 before then.

Steve

That review seems rather more positive than the one by Photography Blog, although it doesn't go into nearly as much depth. I'm beginning to wonder if, for my limited purposes, this camera might be a contender after all.

It would be especially interesting to see reviews from birders who have decided to give the SX70 a try.

Malcolm

I am a birder located in the Boreal forest in the middle of North America. My Canon SX70 arrived Monday, and I posted a review on my blog this morning. My review stems from two birding excursions over the past two days ... one watching Snowy Owls, and the other Spruce Grouse. Here is the link to my review.

Thanks for posting that. Have you been able to compare your old SX60 vs the SX70 in terms of image quality at maximum optical zoom. Perhaps static objects perhaps 20-30 feet away as bird might be? If so does the SX70 provide any improvement in image quality in such a situation?

I am a birder located in the Boreal forest in the middle of North America. My Canon SX70 arrived Monday, and I posted a review on my blog this morning. My review stems from two birding excursions over the past two days ... one watching Snowy Owls, and the other Spruce Grouse. Here is the link to my review.

That's really useful. I appreciate you taking the trouble to post your thoughts on this camera. I look forward to reading more as you explore the camera's capabilities further. Did you do much post-processing on those photos? Any noise reduction on the higher ISO shots? Thanks again.

Malcolm

In terms of post processing ... for the images contained in my review, and most images I take ... my post processing consists of:

1. Open in Camera Raw (jpg file, not a raw file)
2. Tweak clarity to 30 or 40+
3. Tweak Shadows and Highlights a bit, not mich

This is about all I do other than some minor cropping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back