• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX-1 significant upgrade from S2IS? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

Canon sx1 versus S2IS

I currently own a Canon S2IS 12x zoom camera. I was considering upgrading. to a Canon SX1. Can I expect a noticeable improvement in image quality and actual usable zoom when taking bird photos? I mostly upload images to a blog.
thanks-

I don't know anything about the image quality, but one thing to be aware about is that the newest Canon superzooms do NOT allow you to use converters that get mounted in front of the lens (like the Olympus TCON-17) via the use of an adapter tube. I think that the S5IS was the last model to provide this feature.

I have the SX1 and am quite pleased with it. I think it would be a significant step up from the S2. 30% longer focal length, double the resolution, superior processing engine including RAW and Full HD video, and an IR remote.

Here are sample pics I took late yesterday making use of the lossless IQ digital zoom feature. By reducing the resolution to 1600x1200 (still enough rez for A4 prints and HD monitor display) the camera can digitally increase magnification to 46x without loss of IQ. You could do the same thing by cropping in postprocessing, but you usually get sharper focus and proper exposure by doing it live in camera.

Distance ~20m near max optical zoom. Uncropped and no processing other than resizing to 800x600.

happy holidays,
Rick

Attachments

• upload0002.jpg
    upload0002.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 100
  • upload0001.jpg
    upload0001.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 105
Another option is Canon SX10 IS...I took some pics with this camera in July and I was very pleased with the results (I own a Canon S3 IS).

What is the main difference between the SX! and the SX10?

Rah-regarding no add on lens.I don't plan on using one as of now but I did come across a blog that says there is some sort of add on attatchment lens now.

Last edited:
The SX10 has been replaced by the SX20. Here is a review summary that compares all the top superzoom contenders. The Panny superzoom is a nice still photo camera, but I like the Canon Full HD video capability (the lossless IQ digital teleconverter is way cool!) and an articulating LCD screen and IR remote are must-have features.

The Panny can take a front mounted 1.7x TC (and that is a good thing), but it is nearly as heavy as the camera and takes time to screw on/off as needed. As my example above shows, the Canon can do 2.3x digitally on fly as needed with the same IQ in A4 prints by reducing rez to 1600x1200.

I have also found the Canon capability to use a Speedlight very useful to get fill flash when a bird is within 20m in the brush or tree canopy. The built-in flash is only good for about 3-5m, far too close for most birds.

Rick

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back