• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (13 Viewers)

Using the full zoom is good for macro but you still get best results up close. See this Ant-lion from Morocco.

Attachments

• antlion_head_8jun13_1024l_3621.jpg
    antlion_head_8jun13_1024l_3621.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 319
I've just been leaving the camera set to AV and using exposure compensation, usually -0.66 on a sunny day for insects.

I know what you mean about focus. At 50x zoom minimum focus is 1.3m so if the subject isn't filling the frame I just use the 1.5x converter. I usually approach the insect until the focus in the viewfinder goes soft and then slightly back away and let the autofocus lock.

For flowers I guess you could reduce the zoom and use macro setting instead and get closer to the subject. I've not explored that technique. With insects I usually find they fly off if you try to get too close.

Thats great ..thank you:t:

On the subject of macro & zoom, here`s one taken at full zoom (Grasshopper). Attaching a Raynox DCR-250 lens & using the zoom, whilst moving in closer, can bring even better results (Moth & Butterfly)

Attachments

• IMG_2189-001.JPG
    IMG_2189-001.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0480-001.JPG
    IMG_0480-001.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0424-001.JPG
    IMG_0424-001.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 289
I have started to use the 1.5 converter more than the 2X cause I am happier with the image quality, obviously if I try not to use any converter. Took some of a pair of Dartfords on all three today and thought the best was when using the 1.5X converter.
Image not cropped at all just resized for posting, taken from about 20ft.

Your Dartford Warbler shot is possibly the best argument I have seen for this camera from a birder's point of view though I suspect there was a lot more that went into getting the shot than just the camera - I don't think I could get to within 20' of a bird like that.

Mulling lots of ideas at the moment, the new sigma 120-300, 400 f5.6, a canon 1.4x extender onto my 300 f4 and kenko 1.4x. Then I saw Roy Churchill's swallow on a post shot and thought some more. Not rushing out and buying anything at the moment, the wife has just had a back op so won't be going anywhere very much for the next 3 months, but looking for bang for buck, same as we all do, but for the budget I have set aside for the sigma I could buy all the rest - and possibly the 70D when it finally arrives.

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread, it's one of my daily reads now

Second time using this camera. Really liking the zoom plus its portability for when I dont bring out the dslr. Just using Jpeg at the moment but will start using raw for the better IQ results.

A sedge warbler from yesterday.

Regards Gerard.

Attachments

• IMG_0252 - Copy_01.JPG
    IMG_0252 - Copy_01.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 314
Rob do you need a filter adapter to attach the Raynox?

No adapter needed as the Raynox comes with a spring clip mount, although its quite a tight fit.
I am also in the market for a screen protector but have`nt got around to seriously looking for one as yet.

No adapter needed as the Raynox comes with a spring clip mount, although its quite a tight fit.
I am also in the market for a screen protector but have`nt got around to seriously looking for one as yet.

Thanks for that Rob. I didn't say but should have, that grasshopper shot is outstanding

I had a play around with trying to capture some faster fliers today as the Sand Martins were feeding low to the water.

Not great results but one or two came out recognisable.

Attachments

• IMG_0754a.jpg
    IMG_0754a.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0752a.jpg
    IMG_0752a.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0717a.jpg
    IMG_0717a.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0784a.jpg
    IMG_0784a.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 273
x2 Converter dragonfly

Used the x2 Converter on this Black Tailed Skimmer as it was slightly further away.

Attachments

• INS27BlackTailedSkimmer.jpg
    INS27BlackTailedSkimmer.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 273
I have followed this thread for months and what a great thread it is. Ive bitten the bullet and hopefuly my sx50 will be with me within the week. Anybody want to buy a Nikon p310 :-O Hopefuly I can contribute once Ive had a play around with Cannon. I have so much to learn about RAW ect

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back