• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (11 Viewers)

As the Am Kestrel photo shows, I'm getting a bit better with my SX50.

The camera was invaluable on my recent trip to the Rio Grande Valley. The photo of the Green Kingfisher isn't very good but it's infinitely better than the ones I took of the same bird from the same spot with my Sony DSLR and a 450MM lens.

Jeff

Attachments

• kes.jpg
    kes.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 318
  • GKF.jpg
    GKF.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 265
As the Am Kestrel photo shows, I'm getting a bit better with my SX50.

The camera was invaluable on my recent trip to the Rio Grande Valley. The photo of the Green Kingfisher isn't very good but it's infinitely better than the ones I took of the same bird from the same spot with my Sony DSLR and a 450MM lens.

Jeff
That 'Kessie' shot is very nice Jeff :t:

Asian Paradise Flycatcher from last week in Jave Sea 50 mile North of Jakarta

SX50

Attachments

• Paradise-Fly.jpg
    Paradise-Fly.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Paradise-Flycatcher.jpg
    Paradise-Flycatcher.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Parafly.jpg
    Parafly.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 137
This is a link to a video I shot and edited yesterday with my SX50. It is only loosely related to birds in that it shows a mechanised reed cutter being used to cut rides in a local reed bed by the Herts & Middx WT. They did flush snipe and woodcock and once they had cut through the first ride a water rail appeared - but long enough for me to record it!

I don't expect anybody to enjoy it but it does show what the SX50 can provide in the hands of a totally inexperienced videographer - with no editing skill!

Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVVcHEN1POk

Thanks, Roy and CWG. I usually find Am Kestrels difficult because they always fly off as soon as you point a camera at them. This one let me take a couple of pictures. Perhaps it was so used to huge zooms that it didn't notice the SX50!

Attachments

• Anz-AKes.jpg
    Anz-AKes.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 190
Hello
I'm new to this SX50. Think it's a nice little camera. This is one of my first attemts in a dusky, lowlight Stockholm mid day (the sun only gets a few degrees over the horizon). Promising so far, I'm eager to see what it can do during my winter holiday in Thailand.

I have read through this thread and I really appreciate all information given. Hope to post more pictures in the future.

No post processing made, just right out of camera, only resized for upload.

Attachments

• Common gull.jpg
    Common gull.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Gadwall_2.jpg

Little_Egret_2_resized.jpg

Linnet_02_resized.jpg

Hi all,

Further to the above post, I've also recently acquired the SX50, largely on the strength of the reviews and images posted in this very informative thread. I'm still getting to grips with the camera but I've been very happy with the perfomance. I post some images that I've taken over the past few weeks.

I use a 7D with a 400 prime for birding pics and of course I will continue using this combo but I have been very impressed with the shots taken with the SX50HS shown in this thread.

If anything I've even more impressed with some of the videos shown which seem to be better than the ones I've managed with my 7D/400.Any comments on the birding video capabilities of this camera would help me with the final push into buying myself an Xmas present.

Just noticed a SX60HS is coming out in the new year but don't know any details.

Max.

Max.
Hi Max,All I know is that Canon say it is going to take a new direction with the SX60. I would hope that they will not try to push the focal length anymore but concentrate on the weaknesses of the SX50 - e.g. better/quicker AF system, better viewfinder, maybe a larger sensor for better high ISO noise levels and IQ, better frame rate (with AF). If they could address these things then it would be a steal at double the current SX50 price (I may even get back into the superzoom fold myself lol).

Last edited:
I use a 7D with a 400 prime for birding pics and of course I will continue using this combo but I have been very impressed with the shots taken with the SX50HS shown in this thread.

If anything I've even more impressed with some of the videos shown which seem to be better than the ones I've managed with my 7D/400.Any comments on the birding video capabilities of this camera would help me with the final push into buying myself an Xmas present.

Max.

I'm still using the same DSLR set up as you. More often than not I also have the SX50 HS. I still use it for stills as well but mostly I use it for video clips.

Most of the videos I've taken over the last year have been with the SX50. Some better than others though that's probably because I tend to try to hand hold when really it should be on a tripod - http://www.youtube.com/user/IanF22

The long zoom range, effective image stabilisation and autofocus are a real plus over the 7D+400mm f5,6 for videos.

Hi Max,All I know is that Canon say it is going to take a new direction with the SX60. I would hope that they will not try to push the focal length anymore but concentrate on the weaknesses of the SX50 - e.g. better/quicker AF system, better viewfinder, maybe a larger sensor for better high ISO noise levels and IQ, better frame rate (with AF). If they could address these things then it would be a steal at double the current SX50 price (I may even get back into the superzoom fold myself lol).
Is a larger sensor something they would reasonably consider? It would probably require a redesign of the lens to still have the image reach the edges, and unless they also increased the focal length, the effective focal length would be decreased. Not that consumers would necessarily notice that, when so much emphasis is put on the "zoom factor" rather than focal lengths.

A better sensor the same size is perhaps more feasible.

All those improvements would be welcome, but a focus ring would be really nice.

Cheers Ian and Roy.I really fancy the SX50 for it's video capabilities.

I'll wait first to see what the SX60 is offering (Jan 2014 I think) before getting one and they might be some decent offers in the new year.

Max.

Cheers Ian and Roy.I really fancy the SX50 for it's video capabilities.

I'll wait first to see what the SX60 is offering (Jan 2014 I think) before getting one and they might be some decent offers in the new year.

Max.
I must admit I never even tried video on the SX50 when I had one (never ever tried it on my 7D which I had for 4 years either) but from what I have read it is very good for that.

I went over to Pelsall to see if I could find the glossy Ibis yesterday. It was like night and blowing a gale by the time i find it + it was starting to rain. I only took my daughters SX50.

1600 iso to get 100s/p and bird was a fair way away. Shot off about 50 photos all were totally crap.

So I took a vid as well just to see, hand held so its a bit jittery because it really was blowing now. Video was shot straight out of the camera with the 2x tele on.

I could of messed about and edited out the swaying at the beginning, but as its not that great I will just keep it as record as i have not got a decent photo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFRDi31ab0&feature=youtu.be

That is just a patent Mick, they often appear years before a lens is produced from it. The SX60 should be out in the spring next year - Canon has already said that it will take a new direction, whatever that means!

cheers Roy, i thought that might be the case...but what a lens that will be! Just hope they pair it with a bigger sensor, it could be interesting.

a 'new direction' with the SX60, hmmm... i'm intrigued too. Perhaps making it more friendly to the videographer? I hope so. A external mic jack would be a very good thing (would save me using my Rode through a Zoom H1 & then synching in post when i need better audio). Other than that, i can't think how the SX50 could be improved upon really...faster lens maybe...bigger sensor...?

i've been using the SX50 for a year already & absolutely love it, it's a great camera for stills & a really good video camera to boot. This is a short film i made with it a few months ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYkiSXCBIyM

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back