• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Resolved Can't login or even access BirdForum with Chrome. (1 Viewer)

Alexis Powell

Natural history enthusiast.
United States
I got here with FireFox, which I rarely use these days. When I try to access with Chrome, I either get an access denied message like this:

Forbidden​

You don't have permission to access this resource.

Or, I get a timeout message as follows:

Error 522​

Ray ID: 5f6c3d946bbb3053 • 2020-11-23 16:24:27 UTC

Connection timed out​

You

Browser​

Working

Chicago

Cloudflare​

Working

www.birdforum.net

Host​

Error

What happened?​

The initial connection between Cloudflare's network and the origin web server timed out. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

What can I do?​

If you're a visitor of this website:​

Please try again in a few minutes.

If you're the owner of this website:​

Contact your hosting provider letting them know your web server is not completing requests. An Error 522 means that the request was able to connect to your web server, but that the request didn't finish. The most likely cause is that something on your server is hogging resources. Additional troubleshooting information here.
Cloudflare Ray ID: 5f6c3d946bbb3053 • Your IP: 2601:444:8400:9740:540e:fd79:92de:181c • Performance & security by Cloudflare

Last edited:

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
I also have no problem with Chrome. Did you try another browser?

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Hi Alexis

I’ve just logged in on my mobile phone with Chrome - for the first time since ‘migration day’. I found no issues - in fact, I was amazed how quick and smooth it was. Everything is loading very quickly indeed. The interface is particularly good compared to trying to navigate before on a mobile. However I appreciate, you are on a LT or DT rather than using Chrome on a mobile.

I have though also accessed the site on my laptop using my Chrome Browser this afternoon although I didn’t log in. It’s working great with Safari too.

So I wonder if it’s a regional connection issue with the BF server rather than a browser problem? The cloudfare error message seems to point to that (though I’m almost completely ignorant of how these things work! ) so it’s something perhaps only Ollie can help with.

Lisa W

Staff member
Supporter
I have also done it on both my iPad and laptop using Chrome. No problems with either. You might try emptying your cache and see if that helps. Don’t know but it might?

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
You don’t get a Cloudfare error report like that with cache problems or with browser issues akaik - The only time I’ve ever got Cloudfare error issues if the host site I’m trying to connect to isn’t recognising/completing my server connections. Some people use a VPN - I don’t know whether that might make a difference?

EDIT - I see I cross posted with Ollie

Users who are viewing this thread