• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Canyon Towhee? Chepultepec Park, Mexico City (1 Viewer)

GracieChun

Gracie
Photos are all the same bird. I thought it was a finch to begin with but now believe it could be a Canyon Towhee. Seen this morning, 21 Feb 2021, in Chapultepec Park II in Mexico City. If it is a Towhee first one I’ve seen!

Grateful for your thoughts as always.

Attachments

• B84E7369-8A4C-4677-8FC2-6759C1FD8E49.jpeg
    B84E7369-8A4C-4677-8FC2-6759C1FD8E49.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 13
  • 5ACEF90E-DBFF-465B-A467-D646EB605DB3.jpeg
    5ACEF90E-DBFF-465B-A467-D646EB605DB3.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • EE35150E-9553-4EBB-B26D-0C6ACF182DEF.jpeg
    EE35150E-9553-4EBB-B26D-0C6ACF182DEF.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I would search for photos of this one and Rufous-sided Towhee. Notice that both have geographical variation and that it therefore is important to search for photos from the right region.

Niels

Edit: I have the old Howell and Web book. It seems that what was meant by Rufous-sided Towhee was local form of spotted towhee which looks very different in the plate from the form I know from the US.

Last edited:

GracieChun

Gracie
I would search for photos of this one and Rufous-sided Towhee. Notice that both have geographical variation and that it therefore is important to search for photos from the right region.

Niels

Edit: I have the old Howell and Web book. It seems that what was meant by Rufous-sided Towhee was local form of spotted towhee which looks very different in the plate from the form I know from the US.
The Rufous-sided Towhee, even in some of the variations has a much darker head than the bird I saw and the rufous on this sides is much more visible. The black dot on the breast is more visible in the attached photo, though the quality of the photo is not so great. Not sure it is the same bird but seen shortly after I took the photos above. From my Howell and Webb (2015) it would appear to be the Canyon Towhee, but I’m no expert. I’ll keep looking.

Attachments

• A68C3C9B-A6FE-46FB-B5F5-4625FCA5E810.jpeg
    A68C3C9B-A6FE-46FB-B5F5-4625FCA5E810.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
This is indeed a Canyon Towhee... thin more or less white eye ring, ruddy/rusty undertail, putty gray, Towhee/Sparrow bill...

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread