• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Coral, Florida - percher #2 (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
Not a small bird. Seen in mangroves and mixed undergrowth.
I first thought that this was a Cuckoo, but then noticed the short tail and pink legs.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 43
This is a juvenile Catharus thrush sp. I am not sure that the photo is good enough to be sure which species. It looks like probably Gray-cheeked>Swainson's, but between Gray-cheeked and Bicknell's, the latter can only be ruled to be MUCH less likely than Gray-cheeked in Florida. There is no way to narrow it down to species for sure in these photos.

Except for the Bicknell's, we've had a number of thrushes pass through our yard in the past few weeks with plenty of sightings of three species. Though the photos are not of superior quality, I don't see any buffy eyering as would be seen on the Swainson's. I agree that the Veery has much redder overtones but also there is spotting shown along the flanks that Veery does not have. I would then lean towards Gray-cheeked as Bicknell's is not really separable except by voice.
Given the uncertainties created by photo quality, I agree with Tom's call. BTW, two Swainson's are here this morning still, working on the last of the Virginia Creeper fruits.

Steve

I am thinking this is a "Newfoundland" Veery... definitely a hatch year bird. We have banded many of each thrush(including some of the Newfoundland Veerys) over the years. The Newfoundland race of Veery is much deeper/darker and looks nothing like the bright reddish plumage that most folks are used to... not to mention it being in the shadow making it appear even darker. The face is also much darker and grayer then the typical Veery they are often confused with Gray-cheeked. I believe we needed to take individual primary measurements and calculate differences in certain primary lengths when we were unsure.

Check this link out...https://net-results.blogspot.com/2010/09/newfoundland-veery.html

I am thinking this is a "Newfoundland" Veery... definitely a hatch year bird. We have banded many of each thrush(including some of the Newfoundland Veerys) over the years. The Newfoundland race of Veery is much deeper/darker and looks nothing like the bright reddish plumage that most folks are used to... not to mention it being in the shadow making it appear even darker. The face is also much darker and grayer then the typical Veery they are often confused with Gray-cheeked. I believe we needed to take individual primary measurements and calculate differences in certain primary lengths when we were unsure.

Check this link out...https://net-results.blogspot.com/2010/09/newfoundland-veery.html

Wow, this is very cool to know. I was unaware of the subspecies variations of Veery, but this is on par with the ssp diversity of hermit and swainson’s thrushes and the resultant speciation between Gray-cheeked vs Bicknells. My question now is what makes you lean towards Newfoundland Veery > Gray-cheeked? I’m seeing possibly a better face pattern for Veery I must admit. Anything else of note?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back