• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caprimulgiformes splits (1 Viewer)

Javan Frogmouth splits

Nice book with excellent photos!
...including several great shots of yours, James! Regarding Javan Frogmouth, your Malaysian affinis is a stunner, and your romantic pair of javensis is definitely cute. ;)

One very minor niggle with the layout – it would've been nice (for context and topicality) if details of location, date and photographer had been included in the photo captions (or at least in the accompanying species accounts, where there's often loads of spare space), rather than confined to a separate credits list at the end of the book.

Richard

Last edited:
Do I assume that any new taxonomic progress made in (or reported via) this new work will be ignored by Clements (and potentially other checklists), where it is the only source, since there is no peer reviewed citation available? A bit like most of the Ramussen (South Asia) and Collar (Babblers & others) splits? Maintaining the staus quo is one thing but retaining an erroneous one quite another!

cheers, alan

Taxonomic changes

Do I assume that any new taxonomic progress made in (or reported via) this new work will be ignored by Clements (and potentially other checklists), where it is the only source, since there is no peer reviewed citation available?
I strongly suspect so. eg, most splits are justified by nothing more than a one-line footnote (typically citing differences in morphology and vocalisations), without references. In comparison, König & Weick 2008 (Owls) generally offered more justification for taxonomic changes, but these have still largely been disregarded (as non peer-reviewed proposals) by other authors/authorities.

Richard

Last edited:
Al, I would assume all of the Asian taxonomy will be completely ignored once more! Though I would rather see the splits in peer-reviewed journals before they get accepted by Clements/IOC as there are a few I either disagree with or feel more research is required - particularly in Konig & Weick Owls book (Singapore Scops, Nias Wood Owl etc, they have already discredited a couple of their own from the first edition - ie Himalayan Wood Owl - the split from Brown).

Collar's is frustrating as it was in a peer-reviewed journal and since followed in the field guides and HBW, taken up by IOC but not Clements - but that's a discussion for another thread!

Thanks for the compliments Richard, slightly frustrating though was that I now have much better photos of affinis now (front on) and I have photos of b. mixtus but the book went to the printers literally the day before I got the photo, they only have specimens for that species.

James

New Guinea owlet-nightjar splits

Cleere 2010 splits Aegotheles (bennettii) affinis Salvadori 1876 (incl ssp terborghi) as 'Salvadori's Owlet-nightjar', citing Dumbacher et al 2003 (which suggests this split).
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=305d9c5ce13f6ca61e8da7e9c8cfd98b

But John Boyd (TiF) splits A (albertisi) salvadorii as 'Salvadori's Owlet-nightjar', also citing Dumbacher et al 2003 (which notes that A albertisi appears paraphyletic).
http://jboyd.net/Taxo/List5.html#aegothelidae

IOC has now listed both as proposed splits:

• A (bennettii) affinis 'Vogelkop Owlet-nightjar', citing Dumbacher et al 2003, Pratt, Rheindt (but not Cleere 2010, which implements this split).
  • A (albertisi) salvadorii 'Salvador's [sic] Owlet-nightjar', citing Cleere 2010 (which doesn't mention this split).
    http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates-PS.html
Richard :h?:

Last edited:
Isn't it Aegotheles (albertisi) salvadori (one i)?

To prevent further confusion, I'd follow Cleere's Salvadori's Owlet-Nightjar (as it was described by Mr. Salvadori) for affinis.
I'd propose to continue using Mountain Owlet-Nightjar for (the widespread) salvadori, and use Arfak Owlet-Nightjar for albertisi s.str.

“Salvador's [sic] Owlet-nightjar” Yes the dude’s name Was Tommie Salvadori, (ok, Conte Adelardo Tommaso Salvadori Paleotti )so it should be Salvadori’s Owlet-nightjar. “Isn't it Aegotheles (albertisi) salvadori (one i)?” The genitive case of a noun salvadori would be salvadorii, right? With a Latin or Latinized name you strike the last vowel and add an ‘i' to the stub, so salvadori seems right??? Does it depend on if you use ICZN 31.1 or 31.2? Actually if Salvadori is considered a modern name the bird’s name should be salvadori?? I am confused.
His Mother was English, as was his wife Bertha King, (a cousin!) So perhaps Hartert named it after Conte & Contessa Salvadori. ???? No that would be salvadorum? The original description is salvadorii with two ‘i' s.

5. AEgotheles salvadorii.
Above dark brown ; forehead and sides of the crown with brownish-white mottlings, centre and hinder part of crown nearly uniform ; a distinct whitish collar on the hind neck, whitish transverse mottlings on all the upper parts, some few larger pale spots to the upper wing-coverts and scapulars ; quills spotted with buff on the outer webs, uniform deep brown on the inner webs ; rectrices with narrow pale bars across both webs, these being more distinct on the outer webs : lower parts buff, each feather with blackish shaft-etripes and spots near the shaft ; throat and breast more spotted and darker; lower abdomen and lower tail-coverts more uniform ; under wing-coverts dark brown, spotted with buffy white : upper mandible brown ; feet pale. Total length about 8 inches, wing 4-6 to 4-8, tail 4-22, tarsus 0'79.
Another specimen is more rufous above, the bars on the tail dark rufous-brown, the lower parts similar.
I have found it necessary to give a new name to these two specimens, as they do not agree with any of the species that I have seen, nor with the descriptions of those that I have not seen. It may after all belong to Ae. albertisi, but I greatly doubt it.
Hab. Astrolabe Mountains, S.E. New Guinea.
Here is T. Pratt (2000)
http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v117n01/index.php .
It discusses a Vogelkop population of A. insignis?

New Guinea owlet-nightjar splits

Cleere 2010 splits Aegotheles (bennettii) affinis Salvadori 1876 (incl ssp terborghi) as 'Salvadori's Owlet-nightjar', citing Dumbacher et al 2003 (which suggests this split).
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=305d9c5ce13f6ca61e8da7e9c8cfd98b

But John Boyd (TiF) splits A (albertisi) salvadorii as 'Salvadori's Owlet-nightjar', also citing Dumbacher et al 2003 (which notes that A albertisi appears paraphyletic).
http://jboyd.net/Taxo/List5.html#aegothelidae

IOC has now listed both as proposed splits:

• A (bennettii) affinis 'Vogelkop Owlet-nightjar', citing Dumbacher et al 2003, Pratt, Rheindt (but not Cleere 2010, which implements this split).
  • A (albertisi) salvadorii 'Salvador's [sic] Owlet-nightjar', citing Cleere 2010 (which doesn't mention this split).
Richard :h?:
IOC has deleted its Proposed Split of A salvadorii (which Cleere 2010 doesn't suggest anywhere, contra IOC's citation which perhaps reflects confusion between scientific & English names?) noting the need for more work;
and has provisionally accepted A affinis (which Cleere 2010 does recognise, although not cited by IOC).

Richard

PS: OK now. :t:

Last edited:
Can anyone help me out with the ranges of Blyth's vs Javan Frogmouths? Clements confines javensis to Java with affinis & continentalis covering the rest of the range while IOC have javensis in continental SE Asia which is backed up by the ranges on the Birdlife factsheet. It seems to be a bit of a muddled situation!

Further to Guy's post, I've undertaken a quick review of the taxonomic changes in Cleere 2010 (Nightjars of the World) cf Cleere & Nurney 1998 (Nightjars), with an indication of those implemented by the major updated world checklists...

Splits:

• Eurostopodus nigripennis Solomons Nightjar from E mystacalis
  • Eurostopodus exul New Caledonian Nightjar from E mystacalis
  • Antrostomus arizonae Mexican Whip-poor-will (incl setosus, oaxaca, chiapensis, vermiculatus) from A vociferus
  • Antrostomus roraimae Tepui Nightjar from A longirostris
  • Antrostomus decussatus Tschudi's Nightjar from A longirostris
  • Antrostomus heterurus Todd's Nightjar from A parvulus [IOC, BLI, Clements]
  • Caprimulgus jotaka Grey Nightjar (incl hazarae) from C indicus [IOC]
  • Caprimulgus phalaena Palau Nightjar from C indicus

IOC Diary June 4:
Accept Solomons Nightjar (Eurostopodus nigripennis) and New Caledonian Nightjar (E. exul)
Accept Palau Nightjar (Caprimulgus phalaena)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back