• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car rent and insurance for South East Asia (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello together,

I want to travel 3 months to Thailand and add another country, but have not decided yet.
Which health insurance for 3 months is recommended ?

Is there recommended car rental and insureance for complete car included weels, windows and bottom ?

My idea is 7 weeks Thailand and maybe another 5 weeks Malaysia.
i d not know if car rental is possible in Laos, Vietnam or Myamar or if it is possible to rent car and driver for reasonanble price e.g. 60USD per day.

Thank you very much.

best regards
Dieter

Hello together,

I want to travel 3 months to Thailand and add another country, but have not decided yet.
Which health insurance for 3 months is recommended ?

Is there recommended car rental and insureance for complete car included weels, windows and bottom ?

My idea is 7 weeks Thailand and maybe another 5 weeks Malaysia.
i d not know if car rental is possible in Laos, Vietnam or Myamar or if it is possible to rent car and driver for reasonanble price e.g. 60USD per day.

Thank you very much.

best regards
Dieter

I have only rented a car in Malaysia, so I can't comment on the others, but it was easy and straightforward. For insurance, I generally use rentalcars.com and their "excess insurance" - you take the basic one from the rental company and if the rental company takes some money from you, rentalcars will refund it. It often includes bodywork/windows, but doesn't in some countries, so you need to read the fine print first.

I also rented a scooter (125 cc variator bike) in Cambodia, which is even more straightforward, because you just got to a guy on street in the morning, give them 8 bucks and your passport and if you bring the bike in the evening in one piece, you get the passport back - but I am pretty sure there is no way to take out any kind of insurance on this :)

60 dollar / day is very expensive imho.

If you want I can arrange your car rental for that price :)

When I was in Thailand, even a 4wd was not very expensive. Be aware they drive left in both Thailand and Malaysia, and Thailand is known for a rather high number of road accidents / capita.

I paid around 30 dollar / day in Malaysia and Thailand could be even cheaper. When you are in any random city, you can just ask your hotel for a car rental. In most places, a scooter is as handy and much much cheaper. I would rather rent cars or scooters in various places and take a bus or plane in between. You have a very luxurious amount of time so plenty of time to arrange things on the spot.

Regarding insurance for the car, no idea. Health insurance is something very country specific: some things will be covered by your current insurance (through your country health insurance, or private), others aren't.

For Thailand I have got an offer for 32 Euro per day for Toyota Hilux include full insurance for 7 weeks. It means about 1.700 Euro for 7 weeks.

Health insuarance I gt offer for 20 euro but only 60 days.
3 months costs 160 Euro.

Car is quite helpful, because I use tent in national parks in north of Thailand and also in Kaeng Krachan and Kao Yai.
Even in south of Thailand I use tent.

No idea if this is recommended in Malaysia, Vietnam or Laos.

For 7 weeks Thailand I need visa extension.
One possibility is to ask authority n Thailand. I do not know how difficult is it outside Bangkok ?
Second way, go for some days to Laos for birding. E.G. near Vientiane. I never been in Laos before, so is a chance to get there once.

Last edited:
You can't hire a car in Vietnam.
Malaysia & Thailand both straightforward.

What did you want to cover on your health insurance? Just get a simple policy at home. Hospitals/doctors are very cheap in Thailand should you need help.

I've no knowledge of Myanmar.

I don't think it is possible to hire a car without a driver in Myanmar. You can rent e-bikes very cheaply in Bagan, and motorbikes on Mt Victoria (not so cheaply) and at Kalaw.

Parts of Myanmar are subject to UK government travel advisories, and some travel insurance policies exclude the country altogether, so best check your policy if you decide to go here.

For Thailand I have got an offer for 32 Euro per day for Toyota Hilux include full insurance for 7 weeks. It means about 1.700 Euro for 7 weeks.

Health insuarance I gt offer for 20 euro but only 60 days.
3 months costs 160 Euro.

Car is quite helpful, because I use tent in national parks in north of Thailand and also in Kaeng Krachan and Kao Yai.
Even in south of Thailand I use tent.

No idea if this is recommended in Malaysia, Vietnam or Laos.

For 7 weeks Thailand I need visa extension.
One possibility is to ask authority n Thailand. I do not know how difficult is it outside Bangkok ?
Second way, go for some days to Laos for birding. E.G. near Vientiane. I never been in Laos before, so is a chance to get there once.

I rented the Hilux. Good value. It's not a 4WD but has good clearance. I wouldn't touch a scooter: part from anything else your health insurance won't cover you if you have an accident.

I had my own excess insurance. Some of the excess insurers do not cover the Hilux as they class it as a truck so do check if you go for this. I found driving in cities, in Thailand, rather stressful. the countryside was fine. I didn't feel the need for anything other than a standard car in Malaysia. Driving in Malaysia now worse than Europe.

Is Kaeng Krachen fully open at the moment? They were going to do the road; It was delayed but I think it may have started now.

I

Is Kaeng Krachen fully open at the moment? They were going to do the road; It was delayed but I think it may have started now.

I'm not sure though various Thai friends feel something is imminent. Whether you are allowed up to Panoen Thung is anyones guess until I hear confirmation. Last year we couldn't do the streams above Ban Krang, hopefully this season is different and we are allowed at least that before the climb starts.

Last I heard (c10 days ago?) the road was still closed to vehicles, but it is nearly finished, so I'm hoping it'll be doable before I get there in Feb.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back