• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cardinal trying to kill himself (1 Viewer)

Alexatedw

United States
I have a country home in texas and we have a cardinal that, like clockwork at 6pm every evening, continuously flys into our bedroom windows. Over and over for hours. I think He sees the reflection of the trees and is trying to get to them. We tried putting an owl statue on the outside ledge to no avail. I’m really afraid he’s going to break his beak, or worse, his neck. What solutions do you birdfiles have? I would love to relocate him so he does hurt himself but as a protected species, this is probably out of the question.

I have a country home in texas and we have a cardinal that, like clockwork at 6pm every evening, continuously flys into our bedroom windows. Over and over for hours. I think He sees the reflection of the trees and is trying to get to them. We tried putting an owl statue on the outside ledge to no avail. I’m really afraid he’s going to break his beak, or worse, his neck. What solutions do you birdfiles have? I would love to relocate him so he does hurt himself but as a protected species, this is probably out of the question.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

You could buy some decals of bird silhouettes to stick on your window. Or maybe you could close the curtains?

Hi Alex

Welcome to Birdforum!

Yes, your Cardinal may see himself in the window and being territorial thinking this is another bird. Some species do a territorial sweep of the area before roosting and Cardinals are extremely territorial during mating season which has basically started - here our Blackbirds do this during the breeding season fighting and alarming with other male Blackbirds just before roosting down for the night.

You could try these from Amazon - try a hawk or owl!

I see Kits beat me to it while I was googling a link! (They do work to prevent window strikes too)

Last edited:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

When I had this problem I put a board on the top of the window and one at the bottom and then stapled a thick screen to the top and bottom. You don't want to use anything else but a screen so they don't wind up getting their head stuck. Good luck guy!!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back