• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Careless anglers put birds at risk...... (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
In conserv@tion today - http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm

Litter left by anglers is threatening wildlife at a North Yorkshire nature reserve. RSPCA officers have been to Hayre Park gravel pits in Knaresborough three times in as many weeks to rescue members of a family of swans which live on the lake and have become tangled up in fishing lines or have swallowed hooks and other items left by anglers. A Canada goose, found with line wrapped round its neck, was also injured at the privately-owned former quarry, which is a wildlife haven and a Site of Special Scientific Interest. RSPCA animal collection officer Joel Millard rescued the most recent victim, an adolescent swan which had a three-barbed fishing hook sticking out of its neck.
More information - Yorkshire Today

I must admit that whilst being an angler myself, I cannot understand why so many anglers leave discarded hooks and line lying on the bankside. Most anglers in my experience enjoy the countryside and wildlife, yet some still seem to be remarkably careless with their litter.

Up until about 4 years ago I was an angler. There was many a time that I would go to a peg to start fishing and spend ages clearing up someone else’s mess. The angling press, to be fair, always preached about good practices when out fishing and always stipulated that all anglers should clean up after they have finished. Unfortunately, as in all walks of life, you have very selfish, or lazy people to contend with who have no qualms about what damage can be caused by such irresponsible behaviour. I also think that there is no answer to this as the majority of anglers do care but again it is the minority that cause the problem. Catching these people in the act is virtually impossible.

In the past where a water has been rented to a local club that club has been fined for its members actions. When that doesn't improve things then that club can be removed from renting the water and another club takes its place. But how do you stop the lone, clubless angler who only answers to himself? Now that is the question.

I came across a 'dangerous' angler last winter. I was sitting in my car in the carpark at a disused canal which has become a nature reserve. (the canal not the car park...lol). This van turns up with what I presumed to be father and son. They get ready set up rods out of the back of the van. This I thought was going to be interesting because the canal was frozen over!. The ice was not very thick and there was a small hole showing free water. The father cast into this and the son tried the ice!! There was a lure on the line which was a metal fish, about 6 inches long and hinged in the middle and with three three-pronged hooks, a real nasty piece of work. The lad was casting onto the ice in the hope that it would break which it eventually did but only enough to let the lure through. When he tried to reel in the hooks caught in the ice. He pulled more and then it became dangerous as the line was under tension and the rod bent and I thought the lure would slip from under the ice which it did violently. Fortunately for the lad the lure missed him and flew into a small bush below the towpath where it become entangled. The lad pulled again and more danger. This time the line broke, the dad had realised that he was on a loser too and they went home leaving this lure in this bush about 3 feet below the towpath and out of reach but within reach of nearby floating swans etc. I could not reach it directly but nearby was a pile of newly cut brambles where some scrub clearance had been taking place. I selected a really long bramble, about 6 feet long and managed to 'hook' this lure and retrieve it. I then later gave it to a fisherman friend who I knew was responsible. If the lure had hit the kid and embedded in him, I'm not sure whether I would have helped him out. I am very sure what I would have done if it had hit my car and damaged it......but that is not for this board!!!!

Colin

Colin

Reading that I was expecting the worst. The lad was lucky to get aweay with it and what on earth was his father thinking of letting it happen in the first place. Pikeing equipment, in the wrong hands, can be very dangerous, I know. I have caught myself on more than one occasion. Glad to see that you retrieved the lure.

Unfortunatel along river / canal banks you will see vegetation with broken line strewn over some of them. Most likely a hook will be dangling as well. I have to admit to being guilty as charged with this as there have been many a time my line, for one reason or another, has become entangled with trees, bushes, reeds etc.

Thankfully I am away from angling now. Its amazing how you see things differently when you come away from angling into a more wildlife friendly environment.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back