• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carlisle & Edinburgh last week (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

Please help with these
1 & 2 taken in Carlisle
No. 3 Taken just south of Edinburgh

thank you

Attachments

• Day 1 Carlisle 105A2284.jpg
    Day 1 Carlisle 105A2284.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Day 1 carlisle105A2447.jpg
    Day 1 carlisle105A2447.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Day 2 south of Edinburgh105A2852.jpg
    Day 2 south of Edinburgh105A2852.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 129
I'd go with tree pipit. Very thin flank streaking, strongish bill, and hind claw appears relatively short (though it all gets a bit indistinct and blurry, meadow pipit hind claw is typically about as long as the hind toe).

I'd go with tree pipit. Very thin flank streaking, strongish bill, and hind claw appears relatively short (though it all gets a bit indistinct and blurry, meadow pipit hind claw is typically about as long as the hind toe).
corrected tree pipit even though the hind claw is long

Hello,
what a nice pitfall picture of this Tree Pipit. When I first saw this picture. I saw this monster hind claw, disragarded the features that gave the bird a Tree Pipit jizz and agreed with Prestdj with a Meadow Pipit.
Now I have time to look at this bird more closely again: at first I thought the hind claw is really monster, but after downloading the picture, I realised that Richard is right: the hind claw is short and quite straight, but there is a pale whitish line present on the trunk that acts as an extension in both hind claws (below the left claw. in form of an ID-friendlier smeared patch). If you enlarge the picture, you see a slight kink, that makes this clear.
What an excellent pitfall and thanks to Richard for mentioning this. Without your help, I would have forgotten this picture and got this bird wrong.

thank you all for your input, I'm quite happy with Tree Pipit, it is a new one for me and only got it by chance driving past.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back