• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Carolina Wren confusion (1 Viewer)

radix023

United States
I'm a recent addition to the site and one of the things I have learned about is the existence of the Lynx publisher. Being a bibliophile, I purchased the Birds of Europe, North America and the Middle East which arrived yesterday.

I went to look up one of the birds that frequents my house, the Carolina Wren, but for the life of me, I can't find it. I found the family Troglodytidae section, but the Carolina Wren is not listed among the subspecies.

When I check on the allaboutbirds.org website, I find:
Carolina Wren
Thryothorus ludovicianus
  • ORDER: Passeriformes
  • FAMILY: Troglodytidae
Which is confusing because it says Thryothorus and not Troglodytidae. Checking the index I didn't find any reference for the Carolina Wren either.

It has been many years since I navigated the works of Linnaeus so I suspect there is something here I'm not seeing.

Can anyone please help clarify this for me? I feel like I'm stumbling coming out of the gate.

Thanks in Advance

(Carolina Wren Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology)

Mysticete

United States
I'm a recent addition to the site and one of the things I have learned about is the existence of the Lynx publisher. Being a bibliophile, I purchased the Birds of Europe, North America and the Middle East which arrived yesterday.

I went to look up one of the birds that frequents my house, the Carolina Wren, but for the life of me, I can't find it. I found the family Troglodytidae section, but the Carolina Wren is not listed among the subspecies.

When I check on the allaboutbirds.org website, I find:
Carolina Wren
Thryothorus ludovicianus
  • ORDER: Passeriformes
  • FAMILY: Troglodytidae
Which is confusing because it says Thryothorus and not Troglodytidae. Checking the index I didn't find any reference for the Carolina Wren either.

It has been many years since I navigated the works of Linnaeus so I suspect there is something here I'm not seeing.

Can anyone please help clarify this for me? I feel like I'm stumbling coming out of the gate.

Thanks in Advance

(Carolina Wren Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology)
Also, Thryothorus is a genus, which is a taxonomic rank beneath family. So something can be a member of the genus Thryothorus, which is within the family Troglodytidae.

Paul Clapham

Canada
Lynx produces high-quality books, that's for sure. I bought All the Birds of the World -- it's basically a coffee-table book only it's for bird taxonomy nerds. A strange combination. But yes, it's unfortunate that North America is a big gap in their coverage of the world's birds.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Thank you, I now feel like an idiot. I wanted something covering North America so much I just read what I wanted to see.
No need to feel like an idiot. We all start out birding the same way ;) There's a lot to learn and after being on this wonderful Forum for 19 years, I'm still learning something new each day ;)

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread