• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carpet (1 Viewer)

antshrike69

United Kingdom
This was in the trap last night, but I'm not sure what to make of it. The photo is pretty poor I'm afraid - it was very early!

Attachments

• IMG_6065.JPG
    IMG_6065.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 69
A very interesting looking moth. Subject to a species that I do not know, I think that it is a choice between a Balsam Carpet and an aberrant Common Carpet. (I have only ever seen one of the former and that was a first brood over 5 years ago.) I am generally undecided which (and even if I decided, no guarantee that I would be right!).

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=5994

All the best

Paul Chapman

Water Carpet is a spring species, so defo not that. I think Paul may have hit the nail on the head with Balsam, but its certainly a bizzare looking thing.

How rare are Balsam Carpet in your area Jonathan?

Ouch. Balsam Carpet would be new for the county, although it might be expected to occur given the habitat requirements and its range.
Like an idiot I did not retain the moth. It was very early, I wasn't thinking straight and I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. I have started to photograph any macros that look interesting as I go, so that I can ID them later if needed without a fridge full of pots (although the fridge door is still full of micros...) To be perfectly honest, I assumed it was going to be much easier than transpired once I hit the books and the web.
Once I couldn't find an accurate match, I thought I'd canvas opinion. Balsam Carpet was high on my own list of options...

just a thought but what about Cloaked Carpet?

Dean

There's a single county record from 1926 so that would be almost as nice. This is another species I'd considered, but the photos I could find all show a much wider distal white band. Is this always the case?

The other species I'd considered was Barred Rivulet, but it seemed a little big and the basal area of the forewing seemed wrong.

I think that I would favour Barred Rivulet as a result - but reserve my opinion for when I finally get round to seeing a second brood Balsam Carpet!

All the best

Paul Chapman

Thanks a lot Paul. I'm tending to agree with you.

It's been instructive either way - I must not make assumptions when wading through heaps of moths before work!

Thanks to everyone for their input. It's been very helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back