• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrion Crow / Hooded Crow hybrid? Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Brosnabirder

Ireland
Hello all,

Is this bird a Carrion Crow / Hooded Crow hybrid or just a normal plumage variation in Carrion Crow?

Could it also be a throwback and have some Hooded Crow genes in its distant past?

Seen in central Switzerland. Hooded Crow is also found in Switzerland but in Ticino / Tessin in the far south. This bird was seen about 100 km north of that area.

Thanks for any answers
Tom

Attachments

• 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 126
Hello

I think it is still a CC and the whitish on the neck is not a plumage coloration.

The bird look like he molting or lost the neck feather due to certain circumstances, could be a fighting with other Crow, However, I can exclude avian disorder.

Omar

Without looking at some HC pictures I am not sure if that particular patch of feathers at sides of neck is grey in Hooded Crow, it might be black, in which case this bird has partial albinism or leucism (there is also some grey at flanks).

Hello

I think it is still a CC and the whitish on the neck is not a plumage coloration.

The bird look like he molting or lost the neck feather due to certain circumstances, could be a fighting with other Crow, However, I can exclude avian disorder.

Omar

completely agree, some damage with visible lighter downy feathers

I agree that this a Carrion Crow. I live in a 'hybrid zone' so see variations quite a bit. Even a hybrid crow with only a small amount of grey feathering will tend to show some aspects of Hooded Crow plumage e.g. the grey/black lower boundary of the throat patch:
http://www.pbase.com/ianfulton/image/85957753

I second that, having seen many hybrids here in Inverness-shire there is always an obvious Hooded Crow appearance to hybrids with varying degrees of black feathering in the grey areas. This just seems to be some aberrant feathering.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back