• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

carrion Crow? (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Is it possible to recognize this bird - also in the field I did not see gray colors? Black crow ?
Observation from two days ago, Poland

Attachments

• IMG_6758.JPG
    IMG_6758.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6759.JPG
    IMG_6759.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6760.JPG
    IMG_6760.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 36
By 'black crow', I guess you mean what is normally called carrion crow.
Where in Poland is this? - it's a big place, and carrion crow should occur (I guess) only in the far south-west.
It doesn't seem to be a raven.
I can't rule out it being a rook.
You would need to edit the photo to check for any sign of it being hooded crow.

Hello Michal,

I dont know if this is your question, but: imo its no
  • Jackdaw: wrong shape, wings to broad and not rounded, too large in realtion to body and wrong bill
  • Raven: tail too short, bill too small and wings appear not long and "fingered" enough
  • Rook: many have a fuller, longer, slightly wedgeshaped bill and a different bill-shape. (yes, bill-shape is whishful thinking with these "from-behind" views).

So its either a Hooded or a rare Carrion Crow or an hybrid for me, I agree with Butty.
I get the feeling, that a pure Hooded Crow with ID-friendly pale grey areas would be visible in these pictures.
As others mentioned in other threads here, there are Hooded Crows with a more or less "normal" pattern, but darker grey areas. I dont know what to make of them, too.
But I dont think, you can exclude one of those "Carrion Crow" lookalikes hybrids with these pictures. I have posted some of them here before, but I am still looking for a "phaenotypical" pure-looking Carrion Crow, where only some moddeling on the undertail-coverts are proof of hybrid origin/intogression.

And I agree with Butty: location is very helpful here

Thank you very much for your help. The place is southern Poland, I already had a carrion here (sorry for my mistake). Brightening the photo does not get you anything, you can't see anything gray on the bottom.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back