• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

carry strap (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
Is there any kind of shoulder strap to safely use for carrying my D7200 / 200-500 camera? It does get heavy after a while.

Another vote for the above, it is handed though, ime right handed and wanted the camera on my left side so i bought the left handed one.

I have a D7200 and Sigma 150-600 and use a Tycka Camera Shoulder Neck Strap which is available on amazon (at least in the UK) and costs about £10. No problems with it all and its nice and comfortable plus the version I got had a secondary safety strap!

Nick

+1 on the Black Rapid (cross-shoulder) straps, my girlfriend and I both love them. She has a Nikon D700 + a Nikkor 70-300mm lens, and it's helped alot.

I used Black Rapid cross-shoulder with much lighter gear because cross-shoulder is easier on my neck. I've since switched to their Dual so I can carry two cameras and a pair binoculars comfortably all on one harness (takes some getting used to and I had to hack it a bit, but worth it).

If you want to go with traditional behind-the-neck then I used Tamrac's neoprene straps in the past, quite comfy for that style.

Given the growing amount of gear we like to tote on "photography walks", we've both mentally drooled at systems like Cotton Carrier, but haven't quite reached that level in our hobby yet. |8)|

YMMV.

My only advice is whatever you use, make sure it has a tether! I carry a D720 with 200 - 500 lens and I've gone through two straps already (including one black rapid one). It's not the strap itself that gives way - but the metal elements that attach the camera to the strap. Both times these have given way, my camera has fallen to the floor but has been saved from crashing onto the ground below by the tether - or seatbelt as I call it.

My only advice is whatever you use, make sure it has a tether! I carry a D720 with 200 - 500 lens and I've gone through two straps already (including one black rapid one). It's not the strap itself that gives way - but the metal elements that attach the camera to the strap. Both times these have given way, my camera has fallen to the floor but has been saved from crashing onto the ground below by the tether - or seatbelt as I call it.
+1 to this. I use BlackRapid's tether kit, but for some cameras I simply loop the hand strap for the camera through the shoulder strap. Good insurance.

Lens Support?

Does anyone know of anything that also supports the lens? Had real problems with my Sigma 150-500 (you'd go to focus and the framed picture would jump up and down - other times nothing would happen until I twisted the lens as if I was attaching for the first time), and I think part of the problem was that I let it "dangle", ie the camera was attached to the strap and the lens just hung from the camera - I did feel that possibly the weight of the lens was pulling away from the camera. Just got the new Nikon 200-500, and don't want to risk a similar problem. I find myself walking about holding the lens so it doesn't put strain on the mount. Grateful for any thoughts.

Does anyone know of anything that also supports the lens? Had real problems with my Sigma 150-500 (you'd go to focus and the framed picture would jump up and down - other times nothing would happen until I twisted the lens as if I was attaching for the first time), and I think part of the problem was that I let it "dangle", ie the camera was attached to the strap and the lens just hung from the camera - I did feel that possibly the weight of the lens was pulling away from the camera. Just got the new Nikon 200-500, and don't want to risk a similar problem. I find myself walking about holding the lens so it doesn't put strain on the mount. Grateful for any thoughts.

Always fix the strap to the lens, not to the camera ;)

Thanks guys. It was just that when I looked at the examples above, these straps seem to attach to the camera body, not the lens. Daft question, but how do you attach a strap to a lens that has nothing to attach it to...?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back