• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying tripod/scope (1 Viewer)

ReinierB

Netherlands
How do you carry your tripod/scope on a (short) walk? What is the most comfortable way for you? Do you put it on your shoulder and hold it with one hand? Do you put in or on a backpack? Do you use a strap and carry it like a handbag? I am still figuring out what would be the most comfortable way (for a lightweight scope and tripod).

How will this work in practice?

1674637938409.png1674638172553.png

I carry my travel tripod in a backpack, with scope in it's case in same backpack. Does take a minute or two to unpack and set up though.

I use a strap like the one shown in your second image, so the tripod is carried like a backpack. It works fine as long as the tripod legs are not to short. The setup becomes top-heavy if they are. Just remember to lock both pan and tilt on the tripod head so the scope does not move while walking.

I use a strap like the one shown in your second image, so the tripod is carried like a backpack. It works fine as long as the tripod legs are not to short. The setup becomes top-heavy if they are. Just remember to lock both pan and tilt on the tripod head so the scope does not move while walking.
Just two random straps? Or two straps that are especially made for this? (Don't know if that exists.) Looks quiet comfy. Although I am afraid my set will be top-heavy. I have a tripod with a center column you have to mount on it (I am quiet tall).

For my light 60mm on light tripod I just collapse the legs together and sling over one shoulder, can be redeployed in seconds. Not the most stable tripod, but when weight matters. I see many others using the tripod backpack shown above for slightly larger scopes.

Peter

When it’s not worth putting the scope back in the backpack, I find myself carrying it in one of two ways:

1. Held horizontally in one hand at a balance point, like a suitcase. Legs folded together but not retracted. That’s only if I have a lots of space around me so I’m not going to bump into things.

2. Held balanced in front of me with the weight resting on my forearm and the scope end near to shoulder, a bit like a rifle at a relaxed position, but with only one hand.

If that’s confusing I can try and find pics.

...yes, that is, indeed, what I did this morning instead of working.
😁
Thanks for the picture!
I like having both my hands free while carrying the scope. You never know what will fly over. Although handling NL10x32 is doable with one hand, because of the so called smart focuser.

A tripod-carrier or tripod strap might do the trick for me.

I like having both hands free while carrying, so I use a strap over my left shoulder with legs pointed forward in shortened or partially shortened positions. That way I can shorten or lengthen the legs while walking. Also this position gives me better control of the legs so I don’t hit anyone if the legs are all the way out because I can just point the legs vertically.

Attachments

• 7394371F-419E-4122-BB95-BE74898DEA61.jpeg
    7394371F-419E-4122-BB95-BE74898DEA61.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 126
  • EA5751FB-740F-4043-9EBA-42469131C3B0.jpeg
    EA5751FB-740F-4043-9EBA-42469131C3B0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 121
How do you carry your tripod/scope on a (short) walk? What is the most comfortable way for you? Do you put it on your shoulder and hold it with one hand?
Sometimes. Depends. If I expect to use the scope every few minutes, I may carry it over the shoulder. Or even in one of my hands.
Do you put in or on a backpack?
Rarely, usually only in difficult terrain where I may need both hands. Or when hiking long distances to the area I want to get to.
Do you use a strap and carry it like a handbag?
On a strap over the shoulder. Not really like a handbag, but on a strap over the shoulder. With the legs forward and extended when I'm in an area where there aren't too many people about I might inadvertendly hit with the extended legs. Very fast to set up. I use different straps for different setups, for instance a heavy duty leather strap on a heavy tripod.
I am still figuring out what would be the most comfortable way (for a lightweight scope and tripod).

View attachment 1490832View attachment 1490833
Some people like carrying their scope like that. I don't. Interferes mit my daypack or backpack. And it takes longer to set the scope up.

What I don't like at all are those funny scope packs. Too big, too heavy, usually harder to carry than a decent backpack.

Hermann

I carry my Swarovski 80mm in a pack like this.
Tripod, head and back pack comes to about 3.7kg.
'scope is approximately 1.6kg

I find this comfortable for a long birding day with the weight spread evenly (up to 8 hours gentle stop/start walking up to 6 or 7 miles for three weeks on the Isles of Scilly in October). Obviously a couple of miles around a reserve or my local patch is very easy.
edit to add link

Last edited:
How do you carry your tripod/scope on a (short) walk? What is the most comfortable way for you? Do you put it on your shoulder and hold it with one hand? Do you put in or on a backpack? Do you use a strap and carry it like a handbag? I am still figuring out what would be the most comfortable way (for a lightweight scope and tripod).

How will this work in practice?

View attachment 1490832View attachment 1490833
This is exactly how i carry mine. works very well.

When I used to take a scope and tripod i used a mule pack (cley spy version). Very much recommended if you need to do a few miles with the scope in tow. It's the most comfortable way as it spreads the weight evenly across your shoulders and they generally have a pouch for a drink/guide/sandwiches.

Pretty slow to deploy though and not exactly subtle.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back