• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian Gull confirmation please UK (1 Viewer)

GMS

Hi,

I've found this gull this morning on the beach and believe it to be a 1st winter Caspian Gull. Could you please confirm.

To me it looked long-winged, compared to the many Herring Gulls around. Head was white, rump was whiter/cleaner than for HG, neat black tail band, moulted scapulars clearly visible.
The wing appears to have wing bars and only very faint window in primaries.

There is however still some streaking on the head, the neck-pattern is not as extensive as I would have thought and the bill seems quite heavy.

Any comments most welcome.
Best regards.

Attachments

• 9944.jpg
    9944.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 9955 resized.jpg
    9955 resized.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 9959 resized.jpg
    9959 resized.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 9967 resized.jpg
    9967 resized.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 56
I would call this a pale-headed 1cy michahellis.
As you said, the bill is on the heavy side, greater coverts rather boldly barred, tail band tapers towards the sides and darker inner primaries all fit YL Gull better to me.
Still a very smart bird IMO.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back