• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Caspian gull ? North of France (1 Viewer)

NikonJk

Hi all,

I try to identify this bird but i'm not sur is it's a Caspian Gull or not. I think yes but I'm not sure.
Date of picture : march 7 2021
Localisation : France - Mortagne-du-Nord on Escaut river near belgian border.

Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• 210307113928309224.jpg
    210307113928309224.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 55

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Nikon,
welcome to birdforum. There are some renowned experts in Gull-identification around here, and I am sure, you get a confident, expert id soon, but:

With a small, dark eye (although its a 4 cy, most adults lack dark markings in tertials and bill), and the right bill-shape, your bird looks good for a Caspian Gull for me, too.
But: it seems that your bird has a narrow black band cutting the long white tip on P10 (not sure, if this is indeed the case or an illusion) and shortish legs for a Caspian Gull.

But I hope, one of those mentioned people will soon jump in, and say, if this is a pure (=acceptable) Caspian Gull or a Caspian x Herring Gull hybrid, so we both can learn!

As said: thanks Lou

Users who are viewing this thread