• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cassin's or Purple Finch? Reno NV USA (1 Viewer)

Birds4Kathy

Yesterday (Dec 7, 20) I went to a local park (Rancho San Rafael) with loads of bushes with cherries which has attracted lots of finches. House, Cassin's and less frequently Purple Finch are all reported here. I am having trouble deciding whether I saw any Purple Finch. I have enclosed one photo that I think is a Female Cassin's Finch and 2 poor quality photos of a bird that I think is a Female Purple Finch. Can someone please tell me whether my guess is correct and what clues were used to figure this out. Both birds have a white eyebrow. Cassins Finch small.jpgPurple finch small2.jpgPurple finch small.jpg

all books packed away, but, as far as i remember such a clearly downcurved culmen of upper mandible is only shown by house finch.

Both are definitely Purple Finches. Head shape is wrong, culmen is not curved enough, and face pattern too bold for House. The lack of eyerings rules out Cassin's.

The first image looks like a fem/imm Purple Finch to me. Cassin’s are longer winged and House Finch dont show the white super afair. Not sure about 2 & 3.

Yeah, taking a look at the 2nd and 3rd photo, I now believe it is an immature, female Purple Finch.

Wow, I'm beginning to see why I had such problems figuring this out. As far as I can tell female House Finch don't have the "white supre afair"/white eyebrow. That is why I narrowed it down to Cassin's and Purple. I'm getting the feeling no one thinks these birds are Cassin's. That is a start. That leaves Purple Finches. Any more opinions would be welcome. Thanks!

I'll change to Purple too - thought at first the culmen was too curved for that, but yep, the face pattern fits Purple better.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back