• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Caterpillar ID please? (1 Viewer)

timdevon

United Kingdom
I just found this guy on some carrot leaves I brought indoors a few weeks ago. I am in Devon.

Normally I would keep him in a tiny vivarium until he becomes a moth or butterfly and then release him. But I suspect if I do that it will be in the middle of winter and so not a good idea.

Need to know what species he is so I know if they winter in pupate form or as catterpillars, if or where I can put him outside.

I can't find anything that looks like him online.

Any help welcome

timdevon

United Kingdom
Thanks for the quick reply.
He doesn't have any "horns" which appear on the catterpillars of the Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar photo's I've seen

timdevon

United Kingdom
I think it might be in the family Agonopterix .
Just Seen a photo of a green Agonopterix heracliana that isn't a million miles away.

dantheman

Bah humbug

Crawling tonight is a useful page, try for Nov and Dec generally too perhaps. Plenty of caterpillars around the moth trap (more than moths!) so don't think they have a problem with winter ...

timdevon

United Kingdom
Cool site

I think he looks a bit like this guy, Euplexia lucipara Small Angle Shades

23050.Stephen_Youngs.1577266269-larva.jpg

cat.png

Although that species doesn't eat carrots, I have some oak saplings growing nearby. Do moths ever lay eggs in acorns?

timdevon

United Kingdom
Unfortunately I lost track of him when he went into a pupa and now he has come out in January :(

Attachments

• moth.png
    moth.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread