• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Catharus Thrush, SW Arizona (1 Viewer)

tom baxter

I am flip flopping back and forth over and over on this between Hermit or Swainson's. I have some experience with Catharus Thrushes in this region, and have known them to be daunting, with integrades of Hermit Thrush races possible. Hermit Thrushes are often very dull here and show no signs of rufous tails, primaries, etc. Usually Swainson's of this region have especially bold spectacles that contrast with dark crown features, unlike this bird. I think this is Swainson's because the expected population of Hermit Thrushes in this region are thin billed on average, making the bill look quite long, and this one does not meet that description. I am however, not confident in my conclusion. Both species are relatively expected migrants, although not often recorded along the Lower Colorado River where this bird was seen. I believe Hermit is somewhat more common, although it may not be enough of a difference to be a relevant consideration.

Attachments

• _Q5A5164.jpg
    _Q5A5164.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • _Q5A5165.jpg
    _Q5A5165.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • _Q5A5170.jpg
    _Q5A5170.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • _Q5A5173.jpg
    _Q5A5173.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • _Q5A5177.jpg
    _Q5A5177.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • _Q5A5178.jpg
    _Q5A5178.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Tough one, the lighting makes it hard to be confident in the colors we see. (Wings and tail seem to be ever-so-faintly contrasting, but not conclusively so.) But I don't see any buffiness at all to the face -- notice how nearly white the eye-ring is, in particular. So I'm inclined to say it's not a Swainson's. I don't know anything about bill shape, that's never been reliable for me anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back