• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Catocala to identifier... (1 Viewer)

pilonm

Hello all,

I found that Catocala in Quebec, Canada (near Vermont) September 2nd 2011.

Is it possible to identify the Catacola species???

Thanks alot for your appreciated help :)

Michel

Attachments

• inconnu219.jpg
    inconnu219.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for your help honeym...

I am hesitating between Catocala neogama and Catocala subnata... :-/

Any comments?

Thanks again for your so appreciated help :)

Michel

The two are very similar and, without seeing the hidwing (which has additional characters), I felt more comfortable with the forewing markings being those of C. neogama.
You could always try asking the CNC.
Best wishes
Martin

These two species are extremely similar and there is no way to be certain. There are plenty of photos that are "mislabelled". People interpret differences based on these labelled images, many of which may not be under the right heading. So right now, they are best identified by specimen analysis.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back