• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron, Hawke, Pentax or Vortex? Please help :) (1 Viewer)

PeakDBird

United Kingdom
Good afternoon!

I enjoy causal birding but have never owned a spotting scope. I have been reading online and narrowed my search to the below 4 scopes:

Celestron Regal M2 100 ED
Hawke Endurance 25-75x85 ED
Pentax PF 80 ED
Vortex Viper HD 20-60x85

Ideally I would visit an optics store and try each spotter however COVID is just not allowing me to do so. I would value the opinion of anyone who has experience with these scopes. I hope to use the scope for birding and to introduce myself to phone/digiscoping.

Thanks in advance :)

Good afternoon!

I enjoy causal birding but have never owned a spotting scope. I have been reading online and narrowed my search to the below 4 scopes:

Pentax PF 80 ED
Vortex Viper HD 20-60x85

Ideally I would visit an optics store and try each spotter however COVID is just not allowing me to do so. I would value the opinion of anyone who has experience with these scopes. I hope to use the scope for birding and to introduce myself to phone/digiscoping.

The main deciding factor for me was the scope’s ability to use most any one of my astro eyepieces, with apparent field of view between 68 and 82 degrees.
I have the Pentax 80mm angled and the 65mm straight. I purchased the scope bodies only, no zoom eyepieces. The scopes use twist locks to secure the eyepieces, just like my astro telescopes, which I really like. No eyepiece adapters required.
The views, using fixed wide angle eyepieces are very immersive. ....you don’t get that with zoom eyepieces.

Good afternoon!

Pentax PF 80 ED
Vortex Viper HD 20-60x85

This reply is a bit late, PeakDBird, most probably!
I bought the Hawke you mention above at Christmas and it's a belter. It's weight at 1.8kg is upper end-ish but it carries well on my Viking Tripod S'Port and it's a great performer in low light. Seemingly beautiful quality. Great for birding and I'm digi-scoping as well with my Panasonic G9 and T2 Adapter.
Very happy indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back