• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Hummingbird 9-27x 56mm ED focus ring very stiff? (1 Viewer)

Jeanieallergy

I've been given the above scope and am happy with it apart from the fact that the focus ring seems very stiff and difficult to turn - I almost feel as if I need to hold the scope with one hand while turning the focus ring with the other! Is this normal for this scope, or is it faulty? I'm used to adjusting the focus (on my binoculars) with one finger so it's a real shock to need so much effort to focus. Would be grateful for any advice, thanks.

I've been given the above scope and am happy with it apart from the fact that the focus ring seems very stiff and difficult to turn - I almost feel as if I need to hold the scope with one hand while turning the focus ring with the other! Is this normal for this scope, or is it faulty? I'm used to adjusting the focus (on my binoculars) with one finger so it's a real shock to need so much effort to focus. Would be grateful for any advice, thanks.
Mine was like that at first , and after some use it loosened up quite a bit. It turns alot easier once the grease inside gets spread around a little bit . One other thing you might want to consider with the hummingbird is the addition of “ fixed eyepieces” , i started using the 12 and 18 mm celestron excel lx eyepieces instead of the supplied zoom and it increases the fov and eyerelief alot . Ive also used other zooms and eps and all are an improvement over the factory suppied ep

I've been given the above scope and am happy with it apart from the fact that the focus ring seems very stiff and difficult to turn - I almost feel as if I need to hold the scope with one hand while turning the focus ring with the other! [...]
Last year, when I was looking for a small, light scope I got one as well. After a few days I returned it to the shop because of the same annoyingly stiff focusing (and never tried one again). I thought that was a "feature", not hoping for an improvement later on. However, my general impression wasn't bad, price and size considered.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back