• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Nature DX ED (1 Viewer)

18000bph

Has anyone tried the new Celestron Nature DX ED? I am curious how it compares with the non-ED version.

I still regularly use my 10x42 Nature DX whenever I want to carry a lightweight but full size beater or if I want a little extra mag since it's my only 10x. I think they are a great budget set albeit with fragile eyecups and high CA (as expected).

If the ED glass makes a noticeable improvement in CA I would expect them to be a fantastic competitor in the $150 class. I also wonder what the appeal would be now of Celestron's higher priced models since my impression was that stepping up to "ED" glass was the main benefit.

Greetings,
I just discovered the same binoculars while researching 8x42 roof prisms - this seems like an incredible deal for ED glass, the lowest I think I've ever seen. And they are listed as ED glass, fully-multi coated, and phase corrected. Plus they look pretty good, and from the specs, appear to be on the lighter side of 8x42s.

I DO have experience with Celestron binoculars - my Nature 8x30s are terrific Porro prism binoculars (they are Celestron's version of the Leupold Yosemite's) and they were shockingly cheap, but had some build quality issues and I had to really work them into shape. You could say I paid for the difference in sweat! Still, they are quality optics and one of my favorite "go-to" glasses for all around use.

I would guess that the same might be true of these DX EDs - super value, but be prepared to put in some work to get them where you want them. Or I suppose you could be pleasantly surprised! Personally if I could find 'em for $150 or less, I'd probably give 'em a try (they are $169 right now on Amazon)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back