• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central/Eastern Turkey May/June (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I'm thinking of a trip to Turkey either before or after the weekend of 4/5 June. If before, I could only do one week. Targets could include:

Caspian Snowcock
See-see Partridge
Pallid Scops-owl
Bimaculated Lark
Eastern Bonelli's Warbler
Menetries's Warbler
Rüppell's Warbler
Eastern Rock Nuthatch
White-throated Robin
Finsch's Wheatear
Kurdish Wheatear
Radde's Accentor
Dead Sea Sparrow
Eurasian Crimson-winged Finch
Mongolian Finch
Desert Finch
Grey-necked Bunting

If anyone wants to join me, get in touch. I'm considering flights to Kayseri from Rotterdam, where I will be on the first weekend of June.

Grateful for any advice too. I don't know if Birecik is safe to visit currently?

I can tell you soon about the safety. If I don't respond, assume it was not safe :)
I think it should be OK. UK Foreign Office advises against all travel within 10km of the border and Birecik is 18km away. But please let me know how it goes!

I think it should be OK. UK Foreign Office advises against all travel within 10km of the border and Birecik is 18km away. But please let me know how it goes!
Are the Ibis still semi captive there or is it safe to properly tick them now, assuming they're still there?

I was just looking to see if there were any flights from Cyprus to Turkey ( I was told there weren't due to shared history) but a flight from Larnaca to Antalya is coming in at 600-700 Euros each way in June!

It's only 200 Euros to Iceland.

There is a boat though, isn't there? We're gonna be in SE Turkey 7-25.5., you should stop by Andy :)

Anyway since there has recently been quite a lot if interest in this area, I'll try to do some reporting this time as soon as I can. We are planning the classic Birecik, Demirkazik etc. but also Hatay (inspired by the recent outbreak of rarities) and maybe if time allows we'll drive towards Van.

I was just looking to see if there were any flights from Cyprus to Turkey ( I was told there weren't due to shared history) but a flight from Larnaca to Antalya is coming in at 600-700 Euros each way in June!

It's only 200 Euros to Iceland.
Plenty of flights from Northern Cyprus to Turkey in June for around 110 euro return. No problem crossing the Cyprus/Northern Cyprus border, the only problem is you will be fined for illegal entry if you enter southern Cyprus having not used either Larnaca or Paphos :)

In short, it is very simple to do one way (to Turkey), but a direct return to southern Cyprus is not possible. All passports are scanned.

We haven't been to Birecik yet, but to Samandag, which is even closer to the border. No signs of the war, the only problem was when we tried to wild camp - the Jandarma told us off.

Now in Birecik, nothing out of the ordinary, no military or other unusal presence. Possibly the only issue is that most hotels closed down for some reason.

So far we have seen 9 species from your list. Birecik in particular is really productive, we had 5 targets here and cleared them out in a day. The Gosney books are old and many things changed but eBird records are plentiful.

So far we have seen 9 species from your list. Birecik in particular is really productive, we had 5 targets here and cleared them out in a day. The Gosney books are old and many things changed but eBird records are plentiful.
Thanks. I believe I can see your records on ebird. I've booked my flight to Kayseri for 6th June and thoroughly intend to make it to Birecik. I might add White-tailed Lapwing to my target list as there have been some records from the lakes south of Kayseri. Iraq Babbler should be on my list too.

Plenty of flights from Northern Cyprus to Turkey in June for around 110 euro return. No problem crossing the Cyprus/Northern Cyprus border, the only problem is you will be fined for illegal entry if you enter southern Cyprus having not used either Larnaca or Paphos :)

In short, it is very simple to do one way (to Turkey), but a direct return to southern Cyprus is not possible. All passports are scanned.
Spoken to some long time ex-pats about this and they say it doesn't happen but I don't intend to test it. You can go over to the North on foot or in a car from Limassol and I know people who have holidayed there recently so I don't see how this is much different?

I'm acually quite disappointed at the lack of air routes from Cypus, most are seasonal and nearly all head North to Europe.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back