• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central New Mexico,USA Bird ID 1/9/2021 help (1 Viewer)

I dont want to share my opinion on what I think this bird is because it would just be a guess based on the books I have. Any help would be appreciated helping me identify this falcon/hawk/eagle. It landed in front of me and started eating a tiny bird. Once it realized I was there it took off so I have a pic of it sitting, flying (top view) and a side shot. Thanks in advance, sorry its blurry, I am new to photography and my manual focus skills are slow.

Attachments

• 20210109 (19).JPG
    10.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20210109 (20).JPG
    10.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210109 (22).JPG
    7 MB · Views: 20
I would say that it is a dark immature Red-tailed Hawk. The plumage is wrong for Short-tailed.
Not saying you're wrong: which aspects are troubling? ...I thought the tail too long (relatively), and the wings not broad enough (ditto) for red-tailed.

I think Short-tailed should show less bold patterning in the axillaries as well as the flight feathers. However, range (New Mexico) is by far the biggest mark against Short-tailed.

Agree with Harrier on #1 (used to watch these a lot when I lived out west).

Either way, welcome to Birdforum and thanks for posting some nice photos of birds and some gorgeous landscapes. New Mexico! ❤️❤️❤️

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back