• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Central TX- suggestions needed on vague description. (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
I saw a bird yesterday that I'm trying to identify, but unfortunately didn't manage to photograph. It was by a shallow, slow-moving river and a large stand of brushy trees, and I saw it flying in a broad circle around the area before it vanished. It was roughly the size of a crow, and flew in a similar, 'heavy' manner. It looked all black to my eye, except for a wide band of white on each wing, about a quarter of the way from the wingtip. It looked like it had the head and bill shape of something along the lines of an ani, but the only ani we have in Texas doesn't have white on its wings.

Does anything pop to mind for anyone? I'm hoping that head shape picks something out.

Butty

Coo... is that why crows not-rarely have white bits?? I always assumed they were just, well... white bits.

Tired

United States
Definitely not black vulture, way too small.

I think the white was a more even band than on those crows. Like the stripe on a nighthawk's wings, but complete, without the gap on each side that nighthawks have. Come to think of it, "bird with white bands across its wings and what looked like a bulky head" does fit a nighthawk, but this looked like it had blunter wings.
That said, I could have mis-seen the shape of the white, since it was in flight. I'll keep "crow with white patches" in mind next time I go back, and see if I can spot this one again by looking for crows. Either way, that's an interesting condition that the crows have. Too bad for them, but interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread