• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Challenge at dusk, 8x25 vs 8x32 vs 8x42 vs 8x54 vs 15x56 (2 Viewers)

binomania

Hi from Italy.
We often talk about very bright binoculars for twilight use.. I have often thought about it too, since my favorite format is 8x42. But this time I went too far: I compared five binoculars with different diameters, from a small 8x25 to a bright 8x54 twilight binoculars. The binoculars object of the dispute are the following: Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25, Zeiss Victory SF 8x32, Zeiss Victory SF 8x42, Zeiss Victory HT 8x54 and Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56 ... Good vision ... twilight to all!
Video directly on YouTube: https://youtu.be/UXHu8p_bVcc?sub_confirmation=1

For foreign enthusiasts. How to read subtitles in your language...
Enable subtitles on the video, in the original language of the video. To translate, click on the gear icon at the bottom right of the player, and click on the items "Subtitles"- "Automatic translation"

Last edited:
Hi from Italy.
We often talk about very bright binoculars for twilight use.. I have often thought about it too, since my favorite format is 8x42. But this time I went too far: I compared five binoculars with different diameters, from a small 8x25 to a bright 8x54 twilight binoculars. The binoculars object of the dispute are the following: Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25, Zeiss Victory SF 8x32, Zeiss Victory SF 8x42, Zeiss Victory HT 8x54 and Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56 ... Good vision ... twilight to all!
Official site: https://www.binomania.it/sfida-al-crepuscolo/

Let's summarize - the 8x54 works/ the others fall by the way side.

Edmund

Hi from Italy.
Official site: https://www.binomania.it/sfida-al-crepuscolo/

Not even English subtitles ... waste of time.

And no, I am not being parochial ... bi-lingual English/German with previously fluent French to boot..

Last edited:
I have changed the subtitle to GERMAN inside youtube ... why shouldn't it work with the ENGLISH language as well!

OK, not a perfekt translation ... but i now know, what i want to know ;)

I have changed the subtitle to GERMAN inside youtube ... why shouldn't it work with the ENGLISH language as well!

OK, not a perfekt translation ... but i now know, what i want to know ;)

So sorry - mea culpa maxima.
I went to the first link (his site?) to watch it instead of to yootoob.

I'm using the google translator inside my Browser and can translate the whole page into my language with only one click!

Not even English subtitles ... waste of time.

And no, I am not being parochial ... bi-lingual English/German with previously fluent French to boot..

Hi, you are right, I 'm trying to subtitle the most important reviews. However, a reader suggested how to do it. If you go to Youtube and activate the subtitles, afterwards, you can always choose your language by pressing the gear button , please see the image.. Obviously the translation is done by google translate, but I often use it to watch videos in Chinese or Russian :)
I deleted the direct link to my website...thanks!

Attachments

• sottotitoli.jpg
    sottotitoli.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 25
It can be quite amazing, the amount of detail as darkness increases. I couldn't believe how much my swarovski ATX 95 pulled out of the gloom.

Sadly, in the UK, this is a feature that doesn't really get you anywhere, as we have so few species predominantly active at these times.
You might as well either seek them in daylight, or use a torch / binocular combo when it gets really dark.

Edit: then, as if by magic, a common nighthawk is reported from Kent!

Last edited:
I was blown away one evening when a pond which my bare eyeballs could barely see 100 or so yards away, proved to be covered with Wood Ducks in my EL 10X42. Not only could I see them, I could identify them.

Granted, Wood Ducks are about as hard to ID as Blue Jays, but that doesn't change how amazed I was.

I will never forget it.

On another occasion, I watched Great Horned Owls down near the ground in fairly thick woods at night which were completely invisible to my eyes in my Fujinon 10X70. I had no clue they were there until I stumbled onto them.

Another amazing experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back